Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Well, my 87 Turbo, the first car I bought new. is finally getting to be too much work for me to keep up and also drive it daily, so I had to buy a new car. Now I have to decide what to do with the MkIII. Should I keep it or sell it? If I sell it, what's it worth? If I keep it, how much should I have to put in to get it to be a classy weekend ride?

I'm not a car guy, so doing much myself is beyond my capabilities, and I don't have time anyway. I do have a 4 car garage, so I can store it at least in the short term.

The car has 194K miles. The body is in pretty good shape- mostly just small door dings and the like. Nothing major. Paint is OK except on the hood where it has oxidized. Making it nice certainly means new paint and a new interior I'm sure.

7M-GTE turbo engine, rebuilt about 28K miles ago, is running great. The turbo was rebuilt at the same time. A bunch of new stuff in the front end suspension. Brakes are good. New tires. Automatic transmission has no problems, but never touched, so somethign might happen.

Power steering is working, but making some noise. Definitely some work will have to be done there.

Insurance on it isn't much, so there's no financial reason for me to get rid of it. I could put some money into it if I found someone I trusted to do the work, AND it wasn't going to cost an arm and a leg. I'd love to keep it and drive it on the weekends.

On the other hand, if there was someone out there (primarily Nothern California, but Southern CA also) looking for a good vehicle to start from, I'd also love to see her find a new home and get some attention from someone who'd like to make something out of it.

I'm cool either way, as long as it doesn't just sit in my garage gathering dust.

I'm up for your ideas and comments on how I might go.

Thanks,
Mark

·
...make that none again
1,932 Posts
Awesome, an original owner! Not too many on the boards(actually, I can't think of any off the top of my head). I'd say since you have a 4 car garage you're probably doing pretty well for yourself, and you have the space, so keep it as a weekend car. You'll probably miss it soon enough if you let it go.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
punkybooster89t said:
Awesome, an original owner! Not too many on the boards(actually, I can't think of any off the top of my head). I'd say since you have a 4 car garage you're probably doing pretty well for yourself, and you have the space, so keep it as a weekend car. You'll probably miss it soon enough if you let it go.
So, let's say I keep it. It needs to be fixed up. Who can recommend someone in the SF Bay Area that's good at this stuff, and won't completely break the bank?

It's important to me to find a reasonable solution to fixing the car up, or finding someone interested in taking it and doing the same thing.

Thanks,
Mark

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im know of plenty of bay area owners who could prolly help you... supra owners are like one big family.. im sure they will help you...

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
I was about to say. Look at the socalsupras forums. PLenty of Cali folks.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Mark, I'd go to meets and learn how to do the small stuff yourself. The powersteering, for example, is probably a simple matter of removing the power steering reservoir (metal canister that says "TOYODA" on it) and cleaning the screen at the bottom. Flush with new fluid, and the sound should go away. If you have actual power steering leaks -- that could be more involved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts