Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Supra { bhg: true }
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will it work? The thing is, i need to pull my engine so I can work on it. But I need my car running cause I have two jobs, one out of town. I found a 87 na that a guy is selling for $900. It runs really well and the body is in okay shape. Is it possbile to easily swap that engine till i get mine running? (I'm definetely keeping mine since it's a turbo! :) Another thing, mine's a manual and this one is an automatic...anything i need to be aware of? Thanks guys/gals.

Chris

·
The Great Kruso
3,875 Posts
This is too much work for no reason, with the amount of money you're going to spend getting that NA, you can get a JDM 7MGTE to just do the direct swap without any down time on your car.

Kruso

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where can I find one? See the reason we were going to buy the na was so my younger brother could have a first car. (keeping supes in the family! :)) Can you buy a JDM in really good condition for that price?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Dude- drive the NA as-is (you said it's in good shape), work on the turbo, when you're done, give the NA to your Bro. Does this sound like a plan?

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've thought about that, and it may be the best plan, BUT... when you have such a nice car, you want to drive it. i LOVE my 89...it's beautiful. And I know most of you feel that way about your supe! Plus i have an awesome sound system and the 87 has one working speaker that is almost shot. yeah, it may be the best plan, but i hate to give up driving mine. I haven't driven it for too long anyways!

·
MKIV SUPRA FREAK
1,738 Posts
drive the NA, since it's only $900..
yeah you can find a JDM motor for $900..
i'll post the site when i find it..

·
b00st junkie
433 Posts
just drive the NA while the turbo is down and then give it to the brother when your done with it. Yeah, you'll miss your turbo while its down, just like I missed mine when doing the 6 month 1JZ swap, but it'll be worth it to get it back on the road. Plus, MDC had a good point, don't disrespect it by putting an NA engine in there. You'll be constantly staring at the boost guage wondering why it isn't moving.

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well just so I know, what does it take to swap those? Are there any complications switching a manual with an auto? Any complications in general?

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bump......

could somebody post the site for the JDM motors please? My search is turning up nothing. Thanks

·
Boost-a-holic
555 Posts
you will need to use your manual tranny and jump the connection for the neutral start switch. also the 87 engine harness is a little different than the 89 you will need to switch pin placement for the antitheft wire and the headlight relay wire in the large engine to body connector.

·
Boost-a-holic
555 Posts
i know because i just dropped an 88 turbo from my wreck into an 89 na that i bought with a seized engine. i would suggest you buy another turbo engine but if you decide to do the swap i can answer some questions if you have any.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
come to think of it
go ahead and swap the N/A motor in. You'll have to fab up the oil lines and splice the connectors together for the knock sensors, but you could have a very highly potent 9.2:1 turbo monster there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts