Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This has been picking my brain for that last month since I’ve gotten it. It has RC 550 cc injectors, larger turbo, CAI, different intake and a lot of other aftermarket parts including a computer that the previous owner has piggy backed onto the stock ecu due to the stock ecu not really being able to communicate with the new injectors due to the age. I have gas in my oil so it’s running too rich flooding out the motor. Runs and drive fine but stalls if you don’t get the Rpms up out of first gear from a stop. The computer on it is a MAF Translator Pro and I can’t find much info on it online. Looking to see if anyone has any suggestions on what it might be, how to change parameters to tune that new computer, or if I should rip everything out and buy a new higher quality ecu (which is last resort) and if so, which one you guys would recommend. Piston rings and injector seals are fine because it read good compression, head gasket with ARP studs already put on and oil looks good. Spark plugs were built up with carbon but that’s because it was running so rich. Any ideas?

·
Registered
668 Posts
you need 2 working o2 sensors

1. factory narrow band. this is so the cars ecu can trim the injectors / keep it stoich during low load and cruise

2. wideband 02. this is so you can tune the car and see what its doing in boost

if you are running without #1 OR if the tune is way out on your piggy back... you could be super rich.

if you don't have a wideband, park the car until you have one. its not worth messing around without it imho

I have a maft pro, thing works good once you understand how it works.

are 3 ways to setup a pro on the supra

1. speed density. you will have a map sensor and intake air temp. prob no AFM present if so

2. with the cars original afm. maft pro acts like a piggy back and intercepts afm signal and alters it

3. with a 3" gm maf. in this setup maft-pro takes a better air flow meter and converts its signal to the supra style signal.

google is going to be your friend here with that.

the maft-pro also can hook into your wideband. and a laptop running software. then you can data log and make tuning so much easier

long story short... maft pro is old and not a lot of users, so its a bit more of a challenge to get the hang of. but it will control those 550 injectors no problem. and setup right the car drives just like stock (except in tune vs pig rich).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s for sure parked right now because the cam and crank seals are leaking and some other little things. Do you have any specific site I should refer to to get more info about the Maft pro? And I have one factory port o2 and then the IAT hooked right into it. The other other thing I just found was that my ignition could for cylinder one looked like fun-dip (corroded) but it was rich in all cylinders. And thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
668 Posts
here are some links. my advise would be to print out the manual and wiring diagrams. this device is old and once the info is off the interwebs its gone ;)

(should also note the search terms you want to use: maft-pro | translator pro | maf translator | maft.....you get the idea, the device is called many things so you have to search with different words to find info)

general

wiring diagrams

maft pro manual

http://www.fadingworld.com/CRE/Automotive/Supra/Electrical/MAFT Pro/MAFT Pro Manual v1-4.40.pdf

turbo bob is the maft pro man, look for his posts in fourms like these:

keep in mind most maft pro are installed on DSM and buick grand nationals. so info on theory / tuning ....even on a different platform, is useful to read.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appri
here are some links. my advise would be to print out the manual and wiring diagrams. this device is old and once the info is off the interwebs its gone ;)

(should also note the search terms you want to use: maft-pro | translator pro | maf translator | maft.....you get the idea, the device is called many things so you have to search with different words to find info)

general

wiring diagrams

maft pro manual

http://www.fadingworld.com/CRE/Automotive/Supra/Electrical/MAFT Pro/MAFT Pro Manual v1-4.40.pdf

turbo bob is the maft pro man, look for his posts in fourms like these:

keep in mind most maft pro are installed on DSM and buick grand nationals. so info on theory / tuning ....even on a different platform, is useful to read.
Appreciate it big time!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts