Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
besides the 89' body side molding being all plastic compared to the 88' which has a metal backing and likes to rust, is there a physical difference between the 88 and 89 molding? will 89' molding match the 88 i currently have on my car?, I'm getting all the molding painted, so the color isnt a concern to me, just the physical appearance is important. i need to replace the front fender moldings on my car, so if the 89 will match up to my 88 molding, obviously i would like to get the newer all plastic 89 so i dont have to worry about it rusting in the future.

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
89+ Molding = kick ass.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just replaced a number of molding pieces for my '88. The improved '88 replacement molding is also 100% plastic without metal backing. So I don't think it is neccesary to "upgrade" specifically to '89 molding. Surprisingly the replacement molding color was a dead-nuts exact match... I was impressed.

·
Registered
451 Posts
NeSSuS-GTE
you ordered replacement moulding from toyota ?$?$?$?$
if you dont mind my asking which pieces and how much did they rape you for?

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
256 Posts
I got the parts for wholesale from my body shop guy.

I had six pieces replaced total, the three pieces between the front and and rear tires (2 short, 1 long) on both sides. The total price for parts was $350.

I'm sure the corner moldings are slightly more expensive than that.

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
The new Toyota 86-88 stylemoldings are still much heavier than the 89 and up pieces.
The 89 and up rears will fit but you need to convert to the 89 up lights to use the middle license plate holder. This set up will require you to drill two new holes for the lenses.
The clips used in the 89 and up pieces are different as well.

I converted my car over to those and 89 side mirrors. Easy way to lose some weight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts