Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, is the 88 ecu and harness compatible with the 90 body? Reason I ask is because im interested in picking up Jaguars 90 shell but not sure if my engine, harness, and ecu from my 88 will be a direct drop into the 90 body.

·
Supra Fan
4,114 Posts
youll need the 89+ round motor mounts and engine block brackets.

·
Registered
583 Posts
ummmmmm arent the harness different, im not sure if the combination plugs are or not so. But the harness's are different.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i know that the ecu plugs are different. I actually did a similar swap. It is not too bad, but you will have to have both manuals, a soldering iron, and lots of patience. You could try and use all of your orig. stuff, but you may have to change around some sensors on the engine.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that suxs. What would I have to do to get the 88 engine harness to work with the 89+ body harness?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not exactly sure what you would need to do, but i know that there are some subtle differences. Not big ones though. The 88 wiring is essentially the same as the 89+, it's just that the pinouts are really different for the ecu.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So I would just have to sit there and solder on the connectors from the 88 body harness onto the 89+ body harness using diagrams and such, and then plug it all into my 88 engine harness and 88 ecu and hope it works?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
ladmo said:
So I would just have to sit there and solder on the connectors from the 88 body harness onto the 89+ body harness using diagrams and such, and then plug it all into my 88 engine harness and 88 ecu and hope it works?
Or spend 300 for a brand new engine harness as your's is getting old anyways, and have peace of mind along with fresh connectors that won't break as you plug everything in.

·
Registered
556 Posts
90 body harness plugs are different than 87-89.

87-8 identical
89 body plugs change color and a couple wire moved around,ECU and plugs changed to late style.
90-92 body plugs change same ECU/plugs as 89.Also a few wires move around thru the years.

What you are proposing is a PITA but very doable.Best to get the correct engine harness and ECU for the body.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
Engine harness & ECU Will have to be swapped for 90+ Sell the harness from your 88 & the ecu and put that towards a used ECU n new hardness from Toyota.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well I was looking at all the pinouts on Arnout's site (supras.nl) and it doesnt look like it would be very hard to just make a harness. I would just need the body harness plugs off an 90+ wiring harness, and the body plugs from a pre 89. Then its just a matter of connecting the right wires to each other and it should work. Or am I wrong?

EDIT: If I did just get the 90+ engine harness and ECU would that just swap directly onto my 88 engine?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts