Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started the project today. I'm going to TRY to get Infinity 6x9's in the rear somewhere, and 6.5 Infinity kappa components in the doors. THEN, for fun, i'm going to stuff a MTX Thunder 7500 in the rear area, with Targa storage being a MUST, and then a old school Sony 4x25 and a Alpine MRV-T500 for the sub. Not to mention the Alpine 7894 that is already installed, and the XM receiver.

:)

Wish me luck. I had this system assembled in a Buick and it ROCKED, so i'm loath to start again. I know the MKIII is tight, but i have a pretty good idea using the stock mounting locations for the 6x9's, and the doors should be fairly easy, but the sub is going to be a PITA, with the original assumption that i'm keeping the spare....

Wish me luck, and all suggestions are welcome!

BTW, anyone have a line on cargo area carpet in gray? LOL WTF did the previous owner do??

 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Suprachik8 said:
can't wait to see the updated pics on the progress!!! keep us updated :)
good luck!
I work at a Airplane manufacturing facility. Our airplanes are made out of carbon fiber. I sure wish i could use some of their stuff!!! I might be able to, but this is the really expensive stuff, so even if i paid for the materials, i'd be stupid to pay that much for a speaker box. I've decided to cut the hatch floor right on the right side of the spare tire, and relocated the right hinge. Then i'll build a single 12" bandpass on the right side of the hatch, just under where the targa sits when installed. the amps will be placed on tehe hinged portion, above the spare. There will be 2 amps, and an xm receiver there. Haven't quite figgered out how to get the 6x9's in the stock 4 1/2 locaions, but i'm crafty ;) the 6 1/2's and tweets in the doors should be a snap. I'm stoked!
 

·
I'm in the Death Business
Joined
·
1,922 Posts
why 6x9s? why not 6 1/2?
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
88supramkiii said:
why 6x9s? why not 6 1/2?
2 reasons, first, i HAVE a set of 3 way, 100w Infinity 6x9's i love! They absolutely scream.

Second, i have a set. LOL

I guess because it hasn't really been done i 'spose. If they don't work, i'll get a set of 2 way 6 1/2's.
 

·
I'm in the Death Business
Joined
·
1,922 Posts
it's been done before. they cut into the side wall in the rear seat area and put them there.
 

·
mach chicken
Joined
·
1,033 Posts
if you have 3 ways up front, 12 in the back, if its tunned correctly you wont even need 6x9's or anything.. MAYBE a 6 1/2 or 5 /14 just for a sound fill.. but its all personaly preference.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Acrux said:
if you have 3 ways up front, 12 in the back, if its tunned correctly you wont even need 6x9's or anything.. MAYBE a 6 1/2 or 5 /14 just for a sound fill.. but its all personaly preference.

See, i personally disagree completely. It always sounds very weak in the middle when you do that. You need mid and mid bass unless you are just listening to rap. I listen to a wide variety of music, and the goal is to tune the system, and rarely have to adjust anything but the subwoofer control. Just having front mid/highs and a sub in the rear isn't acceptable for my requirements.

Also, nothing quite replaces a GOOD 6x9. They have incredible mid-bass.

One other note, in the front, it's always better to have components rather than 3 speakers in one package, especially when they end up fighting each other a little.

I plan on component 6 1/2's in the doors, with the tweeters mounted (?) and the crossovers somewhere in the door area.

Most stereo's that i've heard lately sound like BOSE.....all highs and lows....

LOL
 

·
mach chicken
Joined
·
1,033 Posts
blown408 said:
See, i personally disagree completely. It always sounds very weak in the middle when you do that. You need mid and mid bass unless you are just listening to rap. I listen to a wide variety of music, and the goal is to tune the system, and rarely have to adjust anything but the subwoofer control. Just having front mid/highs and a sub in the rear isn't acceptable for my requirements.

Also, nothing quite replaces a GOOD 6x9. They have incredible mid-bass.

One other note, in the front, it's always better to have components rather than 3 speakers in one package, especially when they end up fighting each other a little.

I plan on component 6 1/2's in the doors, with the tweeters mounted (?) and the crossovers somewhere in the door area.

Most stereo's that i've heard lately sound like BOSE.....all highs and lows....

LOL

do a set of Dynaudio System 340's up front, pick a 12" for rear, and amp them, call it a day. Sound stage should be in front mid line of you.. think of an amphitheater, all the sound is coming from the front of the stage.

like i said maybe a base line mid for the rear if any.. just putting a fill in if personal chocie warrents it.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Acrux said:
do a set of Dynaudio System 340's up front, pick a 12" for rear, and amp them, call it a day. Sound stage should be in front mid line of you.. think of an amphitheater, all the sound is coming from the front of the stage.

like i said maybe a base line mid for the rear if any.. just putting a fill in if personal chocie warrents it.
I still disagree, but that's why we don't all have the same stereo.


There's more to a system than staging, as well.
 

·
mach chicken
Joined
·
1,033 Posts
blown408 said:
I still disagree, but that's why we don't all have the same stereo.


There's more to a system than staging, as well.

There is a ton more, why i dont argue with anyone anymore about setups.. it all comes down to what that person wants/likes. Get into comps is where things can drasticly change.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top