Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a running, driving mkIII, its grey on grey, all stock (for now) 146,xxx decent tires, all new hoses, and new heater core, the car is in rough shape, the interior is faded dash pad is cracked, paint is faded, peeling, and it has a little body damage, but well worth the work. It runs strong, boosts fine, leaks power steering fluid horribly!!!

I have several questions about "retro-fitting" some parts:

Will a heater control unit from a 92 fit my 88 (plug and play) to replay the ancient grey chipping one?

Are the 92 tail lights a plug and play bolt on?

I have read the how to on the 90+ front bumper so I have that one down.

The trim around ALL the glass is chipping and falling off in places, It will all have to be replaced, but i figure most donor cars will have the same problem, I know toyota wants an arm and a ball for all the trim, is there another place to get all these as a kit?

Will the seats from a MKIV fit the MKIII with no modification?

Will removing the CAT set off the check engine light and make it run horrible like a newer car?

How do obtain the right cable and what all applications are needed to tune with a laptop? Is this really worth the trouble?

My Plans:

JE forged pistons .040 over
Eagle Forged Rods
T-61 Turbo
3 core IC
3" hard IC pipe
Electric Fans
3" downpipe
3" full exhaust no cat, not res
1mm o/s valves
2mm MHG
Dual valve springs
Titanium retainers
Clevite 77's
Electronic boost controller
Greddy BOV *LOUD*
Port & polish head
Tokico Struts/springs
F/R Sway Bars
F/R Tower Braces
4 piston calipers with drilled/slotted rotors
Fluidyne Radiator
Custom Intake manifold
Exhaust Header
Lexus AFM
550 or 720 injectors (depends on more research)
Dual Walbro Pumps

Shooting for 550 RWHP on pump gas, we will see.
*Will be daily driven*

· The Supra Don Dada
239 Posts
sounds awesome, congrats on the buy. If you take off the cat and put on a test pipe you'll get a few horsepower but no check engine light. Also when you get the the greddy bov you'll love it mines loud a shit

· I Love Lamp...
3,837 Posts
Will a heater control unit from a 92 fit my 88 (plug and play) to replay the ancient grey chipping one?
89-92 is the "upgrade"
Are the 92 tail lights a plug and play bolt on?
Same as above 89-92
The trim around ALL the glass is chipping and falling off in places, It will all have to be replaced, but i figure most donor cars will have the same problem, I know toyota wants an arm and a ball for all the trim, is there another place to get all these as a kit?
Never seen it... off the top of my head its just painted metal trim? I would just back to black it if so...
Will the seats from a MKIV fit the MKIII with no modification?
Not really, somebody did it but you would be better off going aftermarket or sticking with the nice MK3 seats that weigh as much as a dump truck.
Will removing the CAT set off the check engine light and make it run horrible like a newer car?
Removing the cat is fine but you might consider going with a high flow 3" so your car doesn't stink like shit.
How do obtain the right cable and what all applications are needed to tune with a laptop? Is this really worth the trouble?
Sell your car.

Tim

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I have a '96 gmc 4x4, a 2003 olds alero, and a '05 Jaguar X-type. I would like to be able to drive it everyday, but don't have to.

But the heater control upgrade is a direct switch? no mods?

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a few other rides, you can see them at the link below.

But the heater and tail lights are direct bolt ins? that's awesome.

I placed three photos in this post, but I am new and don't know if it will allow me to post 3 if it doesn't go Here.

***Sorry the edit button wasn't working when I tried it.***

· Registered
2,644 Posts
You've already had your questions answered, so yeah....

But I will say that it nice to see someone come on here and have shit planned out and ask a thoughtful question or two. Welcome to the forums. Oh and that looks like a great car, too.

· Registered
2,644 Posts
I love how people always list "their plan" when they buy their first Supra.

ibtl
I love how you shit in everyone's cereal...at least he HAS one, unlike most trolls, and didn't come on with shit like: "How much boost can I run before I fix my broken old POS?"

Oh and open DDP here, not too much stink...but you get the exhaust in someone's face if they're sitting in your pass seat while you're parked with the door open sometimes. :biggrin: Some local cops think it's odd when your car is seeping the exhaust from under the side of the car at idle. With your test pipe setup, you'll be fine.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input from some of you, I am not a noob troll, I have built a few vehicles from the ground up, This will be my first turbo build, but I am not a person that will continually post dumb questions and not research it on my own first. The search button it the most powerful tool around and i know that. I have a solid car to start with, a good knowledge of what I am doing, and the tools to do it. Like anyone else I will have questions along the way and stories to share that's why we are all here anyway. I will search first and then bug you guys LOL. Thanks for all the answers and If I have any wisdom I can lend I will do my best to do so. Thanks guys

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.