Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those guys that have owned and worked on both of these cars, i ask for your help. i currently have an 89 targa(turbo) that has been pretty badly eaten by rust and i have found an 88t body to swap to. now i know that some of the under-dash wiring of the 88 and 89 are the same(turbo timer harness being for 87-90:)) but how many other complications am i looking at. i plan to swap the entire interior, engine and engine electronics to the 88 car, not to mention most of my gauge cluster(minor problem though..il just swap faces) will the under dash wiring that interfaces with the ecu(if there is any...i dont know) be compatible? the dash wiring in my car currently is royally fubar'd from a brutal alarm install(previous owner) and i dont really want to carry it over. feel free to post other complications which i may or may not be aware of. oh yeah, i want to swap in progressive power steering to the 88....any thoughts on how complex this will be?
any help appreciated
adam

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
89 is a weird year, some months have some 87-88 style wiring, some months have some 90-92 wiring. I think you will have to do some minor re-wiring, but I don't think it would be a huge issue. I mean people do NA-t swaps using different years of turbo engines.

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
yea, there is 89, and 89+ (basically). 89+'s have different steering wheels, and twin electric fans too I believe.. I have an 89+ :)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
define different steering wheels...i have a three spoke(same as my previous 89) and twin electric fans as well(using the shroud off the old car so it had twin electrics too. My wiring harness uses the grey plugs(i think). if worse comes to worse il try and repair the current under dash wiring i have right now and transplant that too...any guesses about the power steering though? i want pps!

adam

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Adam - check the production date of your car. That will tell you if its Pre or Late 89. I forget the date off the top of my head, but if you message me later I might be able to remember it.
Another sure way is to see what motor mounts you have (liquid filled 89+) and ECU.

BK

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
The mounts dont necessarily indicate the wiring type. I have the round mounts, new steering wheel and twin fans but the 87/88 style dash wiring in my 89. My car was produced in May 89 IIRC which I would think was late but maybe not... The best way would be to try to plug your engine harness into the new body. Thats how I checked when I did my turbo swap.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
When its close to the production date cut off, they start to re-use parts on older styles/newer styles, so sometimes you can have those mixups, but usually when youhave a 89 late ECU and 89 late motor mounts etc your car equates to late 89.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts