Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Some Guy With A Supra
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it that difficult or even possible to put the 89+ front bumper on an 87? the front of the 86.5-88 supra is the only thing that i don't like about them. If i could swap the front bumper to an 89+ style that would be sweet, i was just wondering if it's possible, and if it is, what's needed to do this? Thanks.:D

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
pre-89 bumper = sweet!

(That's why I have no information regarding your question :p)

P

·
0 Posts
what you will need is the bumper (duh), 89+ grill (the ones by the turn signals), and if you want, 89+ turn signals. Personally i like keeping the 86.5-88 turn signals on with the 89+ bumper. I saw it on a 87 T that was Gunmetal(ish) with broze or dark gold enkei rp01's, it looks sooooooo sick. The only thing you have to do if you keep the 86.5-88 signal lenses is trim/cut the 89+ grills to fit it right. Other wise it should bolt right on.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
POSsupra said:
what you will need is the bumper (duh), 89+ grill (the ones by the turn signals), and if you want, 89+ turn signals. Personally i like keeping the 86.5-88 turn signals on with the 89+ bumper. I saw it on a 87 T that was Gunmetal(ish) with broze or dark gold enkei rp01's, it looks sooooooo sick. The only thing you have to do if you keep the 86.5-88 signal lenses is trim/cut the 89+ grills to fit it right. Other wise it should bolt right on.
That was becauseican's car... here's his website http://www.geocities.com/gotboostperformance/

·
Some Guy With A Supra
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks alot... i thought i would have to do some modification to the front end to get the bumper up on there, but i guess not, seems pretty easy. Appreciate the feedback.

·
Some Guy With A Supra
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to get the Maxx Evo front bumper for my 87, and i was wondering if it will give me the 89+ look with the spacer piece in the upper grille, between the turn signals, like in the pic below, as opposed to the grille in the 86.5-88. or do i need the 89+ front for some reason???

It may sound pretty stupid, but excuse my lack of knowlege in body modifications. Thanks for puttin up with my bs on this thread.

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
I love them both damnit.

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
You can try to copy but you will still be a long ways away. The bumper will mount without problems, you will just need all the brackets from the newer one. You can even use your older top bumper pad. The grilles are just cut down a bit , for the longer lights.

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
Here is another pic. You can see how the grille is cut, and a good shot of my custom IC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts