Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 T in running condition and i might buy an 88 T with a bad motor. Would the motor be a direct drop in or will i have to change sensors? My 89 was built 4/89 i believe.

·
Lag = Foreplay
474 Posts
You wont need to swap X member just the motor mounts on the 89 from round to square and a few sensors on the motor but you must still use a <88 ECU and harness.I am in the process of doing the same thing. only 90 motor 86.5 chassis

Good Luck!

·
4,655 Posts
Or Swap the Motor Mounts thats what i did i didn't have the X members swap the water jacket and your good as far as i remember

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i would assume i have round mounts but 88 harness & ECU due to it being built early 89 thanks for the input guys! Also, how hard is it to to use 1JZ/2JZ coils on the 7M?

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
Sorry for thread jack, but further questions. Like the new members forums says "ITS ALWAYS BETTER POST IN AN EXISTING THREAD THAN TO START A NEW ONE"

If I'm swapping a 91 Motor/Tranny into my 88 Which harness should I use? +89? or Pre 89? I could use the 91 ecu/harness if I swap all the sensors/gauges right?

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i wouldn't think so because the body harnesses would be different. you would be forced to use the 88 harness & ECU.

Unless you wanted to completely swap every... which would probley be a pain in the ass....

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
a 7mgte is 7mgte regardless of year. only thing that needs to be switched are tps and the coolant temp sensor...i think it was that. one of the sensor on the thermostate housing. also motor mounts. the motor mounts swaps from one engine to the other perfectly...nothing else needed...no modding. in most cases, like mines, i just swapped out the whole thermostate housing with all the sensors, and my throttle body so i dont have to switch anything but motor mounts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts