Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a manual 89 supra stock everything just got it off my gfs' dad. Previous owner before him ran it like crazy got to drive it around. The steering is WAY OFF...
I can turn the steering wheel 1/4 of the way to the left and right without actually turning. I took it to my shop my boss and I checked it out he told me I need a new rack. Main question buy a rebuilt one or completely new one. I plan on mod'n the supra anyways so would a rebuilt rack be able to handle my future mods? Any advice/ help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
up to you, as if you get a true stock replacement from toyota it won't have a lifetime warrenty like what is offered from the auto parts store for a rebuilt one...

might want to replace the pump and ALL the lines while you're at it, it's cheap insurance since the lines are a total pain...might need the endlinks on the rack too...

how many miles on the car, that's a LOT of wear on that rack...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
i'd rebuild it...a lot of aftermarket racks dont come with what the supra's have...i recall looking for one and it didnt have the pps thing...i honestly dont kow what that is...but i do remember looking at the aftermarket unit...then the stock..and it was missing it...on 3 different options too. if ur alignement is off that much you better check other suspention parts...like ur lower control arm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not sure, but I did read somewhere here that if your rack is going out you should replace it with a Mustang rack, yes, a Ford Mustang..its suppose to be a upgrade, you might want to look into that

·
JZS161 Aristo TT
881 Posts
pramiscal said:
I'm not sure, but I did read somewhere here that if your rack is going out you should replace it with a Mustang rack, yes, a Ford Mustang..its suppose to be a upgrade, you might want to look into that
:ugh2:Rustang Rack

buy a rebuilt one
Or pay to rebuild orginal

Or read this make sure it is the rack Link to how to fix

:rockon:

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
ouch, with over 200k you might have the endlinks going out too

just go over the suspension with a fine tooth comb and look for anything, it's a lot better than something failing and ending up in the ditch...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts