Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first supra. I got this car at I deal. The car is in great condition for sitting for 4 years. Here is the problem, the lady who I bought it from said that she had blown the head gasket on the car and took it to a friend that work at the toyota shop. He took the head off and said the head needed some work in the water jackets. So he put a head gasket on it and had the head worked on and put it back together and he was driving it back to her house and about 2 miles from the house the car started over heating again and blowing white smoke again. She said at she spend $2700.00 on it. The guy told her that he didn't want to work on it again so she just park it. Until I bought it. I got the car home and put gas it and it crank right up but the white smoke started I cut it off. Sorry for the long story. Would it be best to do a swap or just rebuild it. The car does have 145000 miles on it. (( Any feedback is helpful ))

P.S hello everyone

· Banned
5,915 Posts
Pull the head off and send it to the machine shop.

Purchase a metal headgasket with ARP headbolts.

Check the flatness of the block with a straight edge and a feel gauge.

Re-assemble everything with new hoses and gaskets .

· 91TT comin up, 01 s2k
2,977 Posts
dam the lady got ripped off. Paying that much for the head work and not even backing it up with a guarentee. As for you case, guess you'll need to redo the head with the mgh, arp bolts etc.
yeah do what like degree said

· Supra Dead Head
620 Posts
well it all depends on how deep your pockets are and how mechanically inclined are.
you could spend at least $2300 on an engine and installation along from a shop. Or if you knew how to rebuild it and swap it out your self it could cost you under a grand. Well that's if you are N/A you never said unless i missed it.

· GTSDWYZ
299 Posts
could cost you a LOT more depending on what you plan to do with the car in the future. Im currently rebuilding the bottom end of my 7mgte and just the rods and pistons cost 1100. not counting all the machine shop work for resurfacing and over bore. im not even done with the build and im over 3k

· Night in the Ruts
979 Posts
If the guy is not familiar with the 7M, he could have torqued the head down wrong and it never got seated properly. If you want to make power with that motor, at this point you might as well do a rebuild and get some forged pistons in there. The stock pistons will break on you, usually #1 and #6, right between the the top and middle rings.

· Registered
355 Posts
well it all depends on how deep your pockets are and how mechanically inclined are.
you could spend at least $2300 on an engine and installation along from a shop. Or if you knew how to rebuild it and swap it out your self it could cost you under a grand. Well that's if you are N/A you never said unless i missed it.
Under a grand my ass! Those cars are expensive to build yourself aswell. COmpared to Parts and Time Do it slow and Right costs you some cash!

· GTSDWYZ
299 Posts
Under a grand my ass! Those cars are expensive to build yourself aswell. COmpared to Parts and Time Do it slow and Right costs you some cash!

i agree!!! rods=500+.... depending on which ones your getting, pistons= 500+ again depending on brand.....ALL the machine shop work for decking the block, resurfacing the head, boreing and honeing the block, and machining the crankshaft..........all ran me about $1000 on its own!!!

but taking your time and doing it right...........it definitly pays out in the end!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.