Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyway to make the stock auto tanny last with a upgraded ct-26 and more boost ? would a extra tranny cooler even be worth it ? or should i just do the 5-spd swap ? is there a good tranny upgrade kit for less than $2K ? any suggestions are welcome !

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
Just the decent oil cooler will give the tranny a new lease on life. Dont use that bottom of the radiator crap.

Kruso

·
Turbonetics..faggot asses
1,062 Posts
I'm not overly thrilled with having to of gone with a 5 SPD conversion on mine but I feel better in knowing it can take alot more abuse than the Auto. The 5 spd conversion wasn't really any harder than just taking out the auto and putting the manual in although you do have to change the pedals and a little wiring it still wasn't any major task. It took Zero extra fabrication........all the nut plates and mount holes are already in the chasis ........oh and the drive shaft and flywheel have to changed. Talk to JTimalus ....I got the whole kit from him including an RPS stage 3 clutch.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you can make it last, the auto is probably easier on the rest of your drivetrain. It has a damping effect.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have an auto tranny in my 89t. I haven't driven it, but I was looking to make ~400RWHP. I read somewhere they could only hold ~350 RWHP. I thought about it, and I want to eventually, get a 5 speed swap cause I like the feel of the turbo spooling. I almost get bored while driving an automatic. I HATE electrical wiring. Tis why I am kinda hesitant on doing it, cause i know you have to do something with the tail light wiring. Oh well just my 2 cents.

·
Turbonetics..faggot asses
1,062 Posts
dephtone said:
I have an auto tranny in my 89t. I haven't driven it, but I was looking to make ~400RWHP. I read somewhere they could only hold ~350 RWHP. I thought about it, and I want to eventually, get a 5 speed swap cause I like the feel of the turbo spooling. I almost get bored while driving an automatic. I HATE electrical wiring. Tis why I am kinda hesitant on doing it, cause i know you have to do something with the tail light wiring. Oh well just my 2 cents.
The electrical wiring is not a big task. I haven't hooked my reverse lights up yet but thats just because I'm to lazy. The speed sensor plugs right in with no modification and the neutral safety switch just needs to be jumped. I haven't bothered with the cruise control yet though. Doing a 5 SPD conversion isn't really any harder than putting the auto back in. Just have to do a few more things...........nothing overly taxing though

·
Registered
150 Posts
Fried Rice: What do you mean by the Neutral saftey switch needs jumped?

If you want msg me on AIM: d3phtonex

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think he means that u have to short the ECU into thinking that ur in Park or Neutral so that the car will start, or this can be avoided if u use a M/T ECU.

someone correct me if i'm wrong plz

·
Registered
150 Posts
See I couldn't pass up the price for $1,000 for an 89T with 110k miles on it, mint body, interior is must to be desired for, has Targa, TEMS and etc. but it was automatic. I mean i couldn't pass it up for that price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts