Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i bought a wrecked 89t and im swaping it into my 87,and i hear theres alot that has to be chaged such as harness and ecu,can any 1 else tell me what else ui will need for the whole swap?

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
depends on the date of the 89. 89 was a frankenstien year for the supra.
if its an early 89 i beleive it should be the same as the 87/88. but its its the later 89 then its the 90+ i think.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well its got the grey plugs on the harness and ecu,i dunno if that helps,but the 87 does have the yellow plugs

·
Wingless by choice.
640 Posts
Devinwolfe and I on here have done it, pm him and ask him what we did on his.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Its been acouple years since I put a JDM 89+ in my 87 so I'm going on memory. The JDM had a cut harness so I had to use the 87 harness . I think I only had to use acouple of the temp sensors off the 87 and the cps (wasn't sure because of the differt colors on the cps ,have since saw a thread that the cps is the same just different color plug. )

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,084 Posts
NO, all that you need to do is swap all the sensors from the 87 onto the 89, so that they match your harness. Swap the motor mounts to match your chassis, basically mock the new motor up just like what you pulled out. Use your same wiring harness etc. that is currently in the car. The car doesn't know what year motor you put in it.

Also, double check the injectors, I think they may have different connectors, I cannot speak from experience on that one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i me and sash did it all last night,all we pulled the motor out the 87,and the 89t was complete with harness and all,so all we're doing is pluging it and go,i already swapped the motor mounts also,so hopefully it cranks up tonight,wish us luck

·
aka supra_driven
196 Posts
also check the tps on the trotle body. Cuz i swaped mine out from another 7m-gte (unknown year) and it was different.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Use all your existing sensors, etc from your car on the 89 motor. It's best to keep the correct sensors/harness that matches the year of the car. I hate not knowing what's going on later, lol.

Also, the injector clips never changed.

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,084 Posts
I would not have swapped the harness, the 87 has a different body harness, you will run into trouble here. You should have just swapped the sensors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts