Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Lots of BMWs, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Supras, and a few others
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we’re doing a bunch of work on one of our 93s (I posted before about it). It had a Greddy airinx intake and the filter element just completely disintegrated once I took it apart to clean it. I asked around a little bit and it seems like the element has been discontinued for years. Does anybody know a similar shapes filter that would fit? I tried a new airinx filter and it’s way too small. I’d like to stick with the Greddy Intake, just need the filter. If I end up not being able to find something that works what is the next best option? HKS, APEXI, K&N?
Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive design Automotive fuel system Auto part

Microphone Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle

Automotive lighting Plant Automotive tire Hat Headgear

Automotive tire Tire Camera lens Violet Reflex camera

Automotive lighting Grille Hood Cloud Sky

·
Hardtop >
1,285 Posts
I would just swap to a different filter. Those old school jdm foam filters were known to filter poorly compared to paper filters, and disintegrate and get sucked in to the turbos or engine when they got old. The new airinx has 2 sizes with either an 80mm or 100mm inlet. Not sure what size yours has now but if you want to stick to Greddy there are different sizes. Or you can just go with an aem dryflow, k&n, apexi or afe filter as a replacement. All should filter and flow about the same really.

·
Registered
1993 JDM 5spd SZ hardtop in 202 blek.
391 Posts
Yikes, that filter probably should have been replaced years ago. K&N make various filters in just about every size imaginable. Can't imagine it would be too difficult to find one in the right dimensions.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I have heard those foam filters can be hazardous as pieces of the foam can get hot or brittle and break off and get sucked into places you don’t want. I would listen to iwantablackRZ on this one.
They're disposable filters. It's a wear item like anything else, so gotta check them and replace them as needed.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
i have a Blitz filter, think it is the SUS or whatever its name is. not sure how good they are, but they seem widely available in Japan.
They're a metal mesh. I have an old HKS one that is long discontinued. They don't filter as well as the current year K&N or similar, but they're easy to clean, and look great. Perfect for a car that won't be a daily driver, and won't be driven in a scenario where the intake would injest dust or smoke or other things that are larger micron.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have heard those foam filters can be hazardous as pieces of the foam can get hot or brittle and break off and get sucked into places you don’t want. I would listen to iwantablackRZ on this one.
I ended up buying an Apexi filter setup. I want to eventually get the Greddy back on when I figure out a new filter.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nope it’s used. Thats actually a friends. Do you want me to ask if he would sell…
I guess it wouldn’t hurt to ask. A used filter would probably be about the same condition as mine was. Looks okay but disintegrated when I took it apart.

·
Administrator
10,232 Posts
It's what came on the car and I want to keep it how I got it. Don't really care about better performance between filters.
Ah ok, there were never a popular filter even back in the day, I had one but swapped for an HKS with the foam element, this is early 2000's. Then got rid all together because the filtering was horrific.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ah ok, there were never a popular filter even back in the day, I had one but swapped for an HKS with the foam element, this is early 2000's. Then got rid all together because the filtering was horrific.
Looking like I’ll have to grab a newer setup with a cone filter anyway. Will shelf the Greddy intake until I figure out a new foam filter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts