Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 Supra that originally had a 7MGTE with the R154 trans that has the speedometer cable and abs. I know am swapping a 1JZGTE VVTI w/ the R154 trans off of a JZX100. However this transmission does not have the port to plug in the speedometer. Can anyone help w/ advice on how to hook that transmission up properly to the car. I'd rather stick with the JDM R154 because it has less mileage (54,000 miles) than the original USDM R154 (185,000+ miles).

·
Super Moderator
10,037 Posts
Aside from a few expensive ways to buy an aftermarket motor/driver unit that can speedo cable from a VSS, or a started-but-never-completed project on Supramania that involved using a late 90's Corolla VSS-driven speedometer retrofitted into the MKIII gauge cluster, I know of no way to possibly make that happen.

Your best bet in the meantime is to just run the USDM R154.
The JZX100 R154 should have the tripod assembly and such and that will put the shifter further back than the MK3 trans tunnel opening anyway, but that makes it a very desirable transmission for Mk4/SC/S-chassis JZ powered swaps so there's lots of potential to get a pretty nice chunk back by selling that, which you could use to put toward building your Mk3 R154 or another MK3 R154.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aside from a few expensive ways to buy an aftermarket motor/driver unit that can speedo cable from a VSS, or a started-but-never-completed project on Supramania that involved using a late 90's Corolla VSS-driven speedometer retrofitted into the MKIII gauge cluster, I know of no way to possibly make that happen.

Your best bet in the meantime is to just run the USDM R154.
The JZX100 R154 should have the tripod assembly and such and that will put the shifter further back than the MK3 trans tunnel opening anyway, but that makes it a very desirable transmission for Mk4/SC/S-chassis JZ powered swaps so there's lots of potential to get a pretty nice chunk back by selling that, which you could use to put toward building your Mk3 R154 or another MK3 R154.
I may just have to go that route. Just like you said I haven’t seen or heard of anyone that was able to put the JDM R154 into the MK3 and was still able to get the proper tachometer reading. Sad to say but I did buy the shifter housing from driftmotion to delete the shifter assembly and install the housing and retainer to fit the Mk3 tunnel. Thank you for your response.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
The A70 speedometer cable will work with any generation R154. The only real issue is the ABS speed sensor as the tone ring isn't on the newer versions' speedometer drive gear and the newer extension housings don't have the ABS speed sensor port. The tone ring isn't a bit deal, you can just swap your original speedometer drive gear into the newer R154, but for the ABS sensor you will need to drill the extension housing to mount it, or come up with another solution.

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts