Supra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY EVERYONE THIS IS MY FIRST POST. I HAVE BEEN WATCHING THE SITE FOR A WHILE NOW AND JUST HAD A FEW QUESTIONS. I KNOW YOU GUYS CAN BE PRETTY BRUTLE SO PLEASE BE PAITENT. THIS IS MY SECOND SUPRA AND I WANT TO DO SOME UPGRADES TO IT. I WOULD LIKE TO GET A NEW TURBO(WHAT KIND) I WOULD LIKE TO DO SOME ENGINE WORK TO HELP COMPENSATE FOR THE BOOST I WOULD LIKE TO ACHIVE. I WOULD LIKE TO DO THE 550CC INJECTORS(WHAT IS THE BEST METHOD NOW). INTAKE, EXAUSE, ETC. I HAVE AN EXTRA SUPRA ENGINE THAT I WANT TO HAVE WORK DONE ON, THAT IS WHY I WOULD LIKE SOME HELP. OVER ALL I DON'T WANT TO DO TO MUCH BUT I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE THE CAR FASTER. IF SOMEONE KNOWS SOME INFO TO HELP PLEASE POST OR E-MAIL ME WITH SERIOUS ADVICE. MY E-MAIL ADDRESS IS [email protected] THANK YOU SO MUCH AARON

P.S. SUPRAS ARE THE BEST

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
HI... FIRST MOD = TURN OFF DAMN CAPS LOCK AND PRESS THE SEARCH BUTTON AT THE TOP.

What are you goals? What are you looking to spend? Your post is vague at best.

Thanks.

·
Classic Cars = Secks
490 Posts
First item to cover: Are you using the stock headgasket? If yes, replace ASAP with a MHG (Metal HeadGasket). This is very important if you plan on using significant ammounts of boost above stock settings.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Reading that makes my head hurt........oahhhhhhh
gotta seperate your questions dude, and ill get this part said early
S E A R C H

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i apologeis to everyone i did'nt know that the way that i type was a prerequsite to me finding some help on this site. I am using a stock gasket and do plan to get a MHG in the new engine. Thank you to thoes how actually said something worth while and i apologeis again for the inconvenience to thoes who did not like my typing

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
For those who are jumping to the "S E A R C H" reply....take a look at **NEW Member Forum Rules**

91imperIalsupra,

Welcome to the board! It sounds like you are ready to become a boost junky like the rest (most) of us. :D There is a wealth of info on all the questions you have so start off with a bunch of reading. I would start right HERE Have fun! :cool:

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
Typenamehere said:
First item to cover: Are you using the stock headgasket? If yes, replace ASAP with a MHG (Metal HeadGasket). This is very important if you plan on using significant ammounts of boost above stock settings.
completely false. if you don't know, DON'T POST.

the stock HG is fine IF you tune it correctly and don't do stupid things like 26 psi on the stock turbo/IC/fuel system, etc....

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
This is a guide I've been working on, and it may help you decide what you want to do. The horsepower figures are accurate to within 50hp :p Many people have gotten different results from similiar modifications, so I've just thrown those numbers out there for reference. Additionally I'm using pictures from mvp and I haven't gotten permission from Dusty yet. If you're reading this and object, my apologies.

Modification Order, MK3 Supra Turbo

There are many possible modification orders, but this staged list is the system I recommend for increasing your 7m-gte's power while maintaining good reliability (read: this is a conservative order of modification). Please do not begin modifying unless your car is well maintained and running with no problems (i.e. proper head gasket, no overheating issues, good vacuum, good oil pressure, no misses, etc). These horsepower figures are estimated at the crank. Your car may make more or less depending on a number of factors. For reference, a stock MK3 makes 230bhp (232bhp 89+) @ 6.8psi. I have also linked pictures of example modifications from MVPmotorsports.com just to break the monotony of text. This does not mean that this modification list is in any way sanctioned or warranted by MVP.

Thanks,

Jeff Gore
87T

Stage 1:
Intake, 235bhp @ 7psi

The first thing to do in increasing any engine's performance is to make sure it can flow plenty of air. The simplest way to help an engine breathe is by installing an aftermarket intake. There are many different brands out there, but Apexi performed the best in this test. For hints on installing a full intake kit, please see this tech tip. While you are at it, I also recommend the SOGI cold-air intake mod.

Stage 2:
Cat-back, 260bhp @ ~8psi

Continuing with the theme of better breathing, the next step is to install a cat-back exhaust. There are even more brands and styles of exhausts than intakes, so take your time and find one which best fits your needs for flow, looks, and sound. If you live in an area where corrosion is a problem, you probably will not want to settle for anything less than a full stainless system.

Stage 3:
Downpipe/elbow/primary cat or test pipe, 285bhp @ ~9psi

If you still want more power, then its time to replace the restrictive stock downpipe, turbo elbow, and secondary catalytic converter. This picture shows one of the simpler downpipes, although there are some downpipes that integrate a turbo elbow and test pipe in one unit. Random Technologies also makes a high-flow cat that will replace the secondary cat. One word of caution though, downpipes are not legal in all states as they replace the primary catalytic converter.

Stage 3.5:
Gauges

While gauges do not increase power, it is important especially if you want to continue modifying. At this point, you're probably already boosting 9 psi, which exceeds the stock boost gauge. Installing a new one, along with an Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) gauge is also a good idea. An Air/Fuel ratio gauge is also good, but readings based on your factory O2 sensor are next to worthless so a wideband 02 sensor would be necessary. Other good gauges to consider are water temperature, oil pressure, and oil temperature. If you can afford it, look for gauges with a peak hold feature. These can be very helpful, as you cannot always pay close attention to your gauges when you are driving hard.

Stage 4:
Boost controller, 320bhp @ just under fuel cut

Now that your engine can breathe freely and you can monitor what it's doing, it is time to turn up the boost with a boost controller. There are inexpensive manual boost controllers out there, but I have found it to be a pain to get out and adjust them every time the weather changes. The solution is an electronic boost controller which can not only be adjusted from inside the car, but some can also learn to better control your wastegate allowing the turbo to spool much faster.

Stage 5:
Intercooler and hardpipes, 330bhp @ just under fuel cut

If you still want more power, you will need to replace your stock intercooler and the restrictive stock intercooler piping. Compressing air creates heat, which can lead to detonation. Since you want to turn up the boost even more, you'll need an intercooler that can not only flow better but also do a better job of keeping the air cool. It also is a good idea to replace your factory bypass valve to prevent compressor surge.

Stage 5.5
fuel pump

When you try to boost too high, your ECU will cut fuel momentarily to prevent engine damage. Now that you want to exceed that limit, it is time to upgrade your fuel system. While it is possible to boost a little over fuel cut on the stock fuel system, it is not recommended -- especially if you have your sights set significantly higher. The first step to upgrading your fuel system is to then replace the fuel pump with one that can move more fuel. Walbro and the stock MKIV tt pump are common choices.

Stage 6:
Lexus AFM/550 injectors, 360bhp @ 15psi

One of the most common ways around fuel cut is to use an Air Flow Meter off a Lexus V8. The basic gist is this air flow meter allows some unmetered air through tricking the stock ECU into thinking it is getting less air than it really is. Because the ECU thinks it is getting less air, the boost at which you hit fuel cut goes up. To offset this extra air, 550 injectors replace the stock 440 units. Details on this upgrade can be found here. Recently, PHR has announced they will make a "map ecu" that will allow consumers to use a much less restrictive MAP sensor instead of an AFM. Details on this product can be found here.

Stage 7:
Fuel tuning device and dyno tuning, 390bhp @ 16psi

At this point, the car could benefit from some fine-tuning. Chances are you will be running rich, so an air/fuel controller can lean out the mixture and help further raise fuel cut. There are many options out there, so do a little research and decide on the best unit for your goals. If you must have the best, a standalone is the way to go but it is much more expensive, and is more difficult to tune (chances are you will have to have a professional tune it).

Stage 8:
You have now reached the useable limits of the stock turbo. It is possible to further increase the boost, but the turbo will be blowing such hot air that you will experience diminishing returns. Which turbo you go with will depend entirely on how far you want to take your Supra. If 450bhp or less is ok you can go with an upgraded CT26. 550bhp or less and you can go with a bolt-on hybrid turbo. If that is not enough, then you will be looking at a bigger turbo that will probably involve some custom work. If you do have your sights set that high, you probably know what you’re doing or will be taking the car to a professional).

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
ps. ma71supraturbo that is the best guide i have seen and is exactly what i am looking for. before i read your "guide" i really wasnt sure where to start. thanks man for sharing the knowledge... now i have some direction and at least a better idea on what order to do things...thanks again...peace

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
hehe ma71 you cheater....you just changed the pictures and added a bit of commentary to the hks guide ;)

nonetheless its helpful...

and about the headgasket issue i guess you have to be specific when stating the stocker is bad. its not really the hg thats the question is the torque specs....thats where the problem lies.....and hence the hg will go bad if you up the boost to much withuot preparing that part of the engine for it..of course there ARE ALWAYS exceptions.... but its a basic rule of thumb.

if you retorque the stocker you might be ok but you then again might be disturbing a possible good seal...so basically the simple way to be safe and satisfy your boosting needs would be to undergo the mhg swap.

and dj jones i think thats what he was getting at but didnt put it so sasacntly. ( sp?)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much everyone that was all i was looking for a way to get started i really appreciate it. If I learn any tricks on my journey i will let you guys know and i will post some picks of my progress. Thanks again everyone

·
Some Guy With A Supra
378 Posts
MA71supraturbo, thanks alot for posting that guide, I myself have needed a guide to direct me with my modding of my 87 T. Now that i have my JDM in now, i can start on some of this. It was very helpful.:)

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
NICE GUIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey welcome to the forums and congratulations on the supra. I just bought my second one in june and its a 91t as well. Thats a cool little guide that answers so many of the first few questions everyone has when they first join, maybe it should be put in its own post and made a sticky or stick it in the faq section so people can stop asking the same questions? Just a thought.

-Impulsive03-

·
Some Guy With A Supra
378 Posts
That would be a great sticky! It would have been nice to have one when i first joined!

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
I did smetihng smilar to Jeff's (ma71's) write-up, but I didn't go to turbo/injector upgrades. Mine is a write-up for "full bpu"/ max potential of stock turbo with as much stock fuel/cooling as possible.

Check this out:
"FULL BPU" for mk3 Turbo.

Best regards.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts