Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Supra TT Senior
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm toying with the idea of a 99-00 911 coupe since I'm having some trouble finding the E46 M3 combo I want...

I was wondering if anyone has experiences with these cars in terms of reliability and maintaince costs. I'd "assume" the cost of something going wrong on these cars is quite expensive but I'm not sure of the cost nor of the frequency.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts
Do not buy a 99 no matter what you do. The first year of water cooling is NOT a good year for 911's. All the catastrophic failure stories I've heard about 911's (which isn't much) were all 1999 models. That is the absolute last year I'd recommend.

I do not know specifically what they updated/fixed for 2000, but I haven't heard similar issues with the 2000 model. But, I can tell you that I would personally steer clear of the 1999's, and you'll also notice their prices seem to be artifically low...due to this very reason. :)

·
Banned
306 Posts
some thoughts

i think a front or real tranny seal was defective on alot of the 911 99 models. if this has been fixed, they are really nice rides imo.

·
Supra TT Senior
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm good thing I posted the question here then lol....

I guess I'll only be looking at 00s and up. Thanks for the inputs guys. If there's anything else keep them coming.

there's a billion e46 m3's on auto trader? what color are you looking for
03-04, white with red interior, 19s, SMG, parking sensors, Navigation, etc. I would prob do a silver or grey with red interior as well. Just can't seem to find the combo at a reasonable deal. :sadance: PM me if you know of one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
They are notorious for the blocks cracking.

M.M
94 911 RS America with all the trimmings #001
03 Vette
87 Vette Z51
05 Legacy GT , Cobb bars , Typhoon intake

Too many cars to list.

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts
Oh, by the way...and I hope this wasn't what people perceived by my original reply. I'm a huge 911 fan! I've loved those cars since well before I had my drivers license, have had the good fortune to drive a few of them, and maintain that I will own one someday. I was only trying to highlight that 1999 is the worst possible model year for modern 911's that I personally know of.

I do not consider myself super knowledgeable about the yearly changes to 911's, but as with most cars that I really love and would consider owning, I do research them pretty aggressively. The 996 model (non turbocharged variants) have some of the worst resale value of all modern 911s though, so don't plan to buy one if you want to keep your investment largely intact. The reasons for this (from what little I know) are that they were much more mass produced than earlier models, but also because they mostly narrow body cars, without the gorgeous fender flares that we all love so much (993 had them, 997 has them). All of that, and the addition of water cooling, has really driven 996 pricing down relative to older models.

It's so striking, that you will see 1997 and 1998 C2/C4/C2S prices staying well above 1999-2001 996's. The widebody 996 models (C4S and Turbo) fare significantly better, but are much more expensive than the narrow body 996s.

I'll tell you this much. Anyone who has driven any generation of 911 and didn't enjoy it just isn't a proper car enthusiast in my mind. They are sublime to drive, but we tend to judge all cars pretty harshly on straightline speed after owning modified Supra turbos! ;)

Steve T.

·
Registered
857 Posts
RunLow said:
They are notorious for the blocks cracking.

M.M
94 911 RS America with all the trimmings #001
03 Vette
87 Vette Z51
05 Legacy GT , Cobb bars , Typhoon intake

Too many cars to list.
Why are you listing your cars all of a sudden?

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
Steve Theodore said:
Oh, by the way...and I hope this wasn't what people perceived by my original reply. I'm a huge 911 fan! I've loved those cars since well before I had my drivers license, have had the good fortune to drive a few of them, and maintain that I will own one someday. I was only trying to highlight that 1999 is the worst possible model year for modern 911's that I personally know of.

I do not consider myself super knowledgeable about the yearly changes to 911's, but as with most cars that I really love and would consider owning, I do research them pretty aggressively. The 996 model (non turbocharged variants) have some of the worst resale value of all modern 911s though, so don't plan to buy one if you want to keep your investment largely intact. The reasons for this (from what little I know) are that they were much more mass produced than earlier models, but also because they mostly narrow body cars, without the gorgeous fender flares that we all love so much (993 had them, 997 has them). All of that, and the addition of water cooling, has really driven 996 pricing down relative to older models.

It's so striking, that you will see 1997 and 1998 C2/C4/C2S prices staying well above 1999-2001 996's. The widebody 996 models (C4S and Turbo) fare significantly better, but are much more expensive than the narrow body 996s.

I'll tell you this much. Anyone who has driven any generation of 911 and didn't enjoy it just isn't a proper car enthusiast in my mind. They are sublime to drive, but we tend to judge all cars pretty harshly on straightline speed after owning modified Supra turbos! ;)

Steve T.
Steve is correct in his comments regarding resale value, although it appears that this trend may have leveled off recently (or maybe that's just wishful thinking) :) Personally it was the drop in resale value that allowed me to own the car to start with. Without question, I wouldn't purchase one of these new and then take the hit....but then again I probably wouldn't do that on a Supra either. Buying brand new cars of the lot is an emotional decision, not a fiscal decision. Supra owners are spoiled when it comes to resale value, so you have to put that aside when considering other cars....

·
Registered
4 Posts
MoogieBoogie said:
Why are you listing your cars all of a sudden?
I have posted probably 10 times since I joined in 02.. Got a PM from a forum member due to one of my posts that asked if I had ever driven a performance car. Fact of the matter is I have lots of them.. Not trying to brag by any strech there are guys here that have as much in 1 car as Ihave in all of mine... I post what I have every once in a while so people don't think I'm another BS-ing Teenager that seem to plague this site. I only post when I feel I have something to add.

I looked at quite a few 911's before I stumbled onto mine , I heard plenty of horror stories about 99's that scared me off. I use the car primarly for track events and autocrosses , so I do beat on it.

I guess Iposted it for no other reason than to say ..""i have cool cars too"

No Supra's yet.. they aren't common enough up here.

But enough about me...

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
My mom had a '99 911 and the motor blew on it with very low mileage.

·
Registered
857 Posts
RunLow said:
I have posted probably 10 times since I joined in 02.. Got a PM from a forum member due to one of my posts that asked if I had ever driven a performance car. Fact of the matter is I have lots of them.. Not trying to brag by any strech there are guys here that have as much in 1 car as Ihave in all of mine... I post what I have every once in a while so people don't think I'm another BS-ing Teenager that seem to plague this site. I only post when I feel I have something to add.
OK - I only asked because it was so random; as if you had Tourette's Syndrome or something.

If you'd like, you can do what most people do and list them in your signature file. Or you could have just PMed the guy about what cars you have. If you put them in your signature file, you don't have to type it out EVERYTIME - save you some time and achieves the same purpose without an overwhelming sense of randomness.

Back on subject, the 2000+ 996's are OK? Seems like people isolate the problem to the 1999 models. I'm really surprised, because for many years Porsche has won awards for best reliability for a Euro marque and sports car.

·
Supra TT Senior
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ubermensch said:
Okay, to be balanced here's another thread on it...

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=276881
From that thread, it would seem for the most part they're very reliable ... including the 99s. Maybe it just like with most cars...sometimes you just get one that has a ton of problems..

Now if only I could find a nice M3 combo or find a nice 911 with aero... :bowdown:

Either one would do just fine!

G

·
doug said:
your M3 was pure sex... Black/Cinnamon leather
:) e46 m3's are great cars ..I would buy another one in a heart beat
id like a white one too . slammed on some black juicy wheels!!

i found a flood e46 m3 for 22 grand locally .... ill have to go check that one out

1 - 18 of 18 Posts