Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
B. Aust, PhD, Boostology
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Thanks to Marcos here, I finally have a sweet stock Mk3 steering wheel replacement for my 1992 Turbo that has needed one for a year.

For those that don't recall, my airbag deployed when my car went over a metal spike that was stuck into the ground in a poorly-designated construction area. I've cut out the bag and debris, but the airbag part is just blown wide open and is butt-ugly. Plus, I have that annoying red airbag light on in the dash, and the steering wheel was kinda nasty anyways due to leather deterioration.

So, Marcos to the rescue and I have myself a fantastic-condition airbag steering wheel (from a '90, i believe). I want to install this, and thanks to the Cygnus site we have the TSRM online that shows how. However.....

Because my airbag in my current steering wheel deployed, when i remove it do I have to deal with any airbag wires or sensors or anything else that needs to be replaced or "reset" or etc. before I install the new steering wheel/airbag? Or can i just slap the new one in and connect the harness?

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
id be very careful about any thing with an airbag. theyre pretty dangerous, for example your doing something and you dont disconnect the battery, and it goes off in your face. I dont if it would happen, but im sure it could and if it did you would be pretty injured. but resetting the ecu should fix the light.

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
You have to replace the ECU as well, it might be allright, but generally, once a airbag blows, it takes the ecu out, its a one time use deal.

·
B. Aust, PhD, Boostology
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ouch, you're kidding.... can't imagine how they would design it so the ECU would fry when the airbag deployed... wonder how much those used ECUs are....

i presume you're talking about the airbag ECU under the centre console floor, not the main ECU behind the glovebox :)

worst case scenario, i suppose i could always just hook up the wheel, but not utilise the airbag.... it gave me a nasty sucker punch in the face and lips when the original one blew off anyways..... :eek2:

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
Its a safty device, its the airbag ecu taht needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
if the airbag went off, it's because a sensor was smashed and made the ECU think there was an impact. you could install the airbag but leave it disconnected if you're worried about it happening again.

·
Registered
419 Posts
what you do is this:

reset the airbag computer or replace it, follow the tech tips on sonic to do that

replace airbag/steering wheel, u can use even the mk4 steering wheels, everythign fits in fine, airbag, cruise control, everything. they are very close just the actual wheel is about a inch smaller in diametre.

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
You can try resetting, its just a mater of pratice, our dealership has a bodyshop, and anytime the airbags go off, we replace the ECU, after having 6 yotas in a row that the ecu quit working after the deployment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts