Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Boosted NA
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the main diference in the early years of the n/a MKIV and the newest years??? i heard the 93-95's are easier to mod and the 97's are great for aftermarket turbo, any feedback?

Also does any one know the n/a stock HP at the rear wheels? and how much RWH does a downpipe add? sorry for the questions I just need some info.

thanks a lot.

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
newer ones have vvti brings hp up from 220 to 225.... ummm someone else can elaborate on the rest

E

·
0 Posts
AFAIK, the only differences in 97-98 for the NA are that they no longer offered the hardtops, the head and taillights are slightly different, and the engine has Lexus' VVTI, so may have a little more low end. If anything, the pre-97's are probably easier to turbo because of this.

Anyone know anything different?

M

·
0 Posts
VVT-i is only in the '98... i'm not sure, but i think the 97-98 have an upgraded suspension. my 97's ride is a lot better than the 95 and 96 supras i test drove. i thought the 97-98 NA still had hardtops (not sure tho), but mine doesn't. don't care too much about it, it's extra weight :p as for the modding potential... you'll have to wait a couple years for me to save up money, then i'll tell you :D

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
the newer ones have a little change in suspension... i think it got a little softer -- can't remeber..... also the stock wheels changed a little... they were still five-spoke, just looked a little different... the 97 had those "15th anniversary" badges on the front fenders and on the little ash tray in the center console... steering wheel became three-spoke...

out of curiousity... how many of you owners of a 94 mkiv have one those holders for the gas cap inside the little gas door thingy... i have heard that the 94's didn't have one of those... i don't mean to change the subject... i was just wondering... lateZ

·
Senior
1,475 Posts
Mine's a "96", no I don't have the strap to keep the gas cap close by.....:( My stock stereo is so- so too:( But it's a lightweight hardtop!:D I've seen intakes that are for "95" & earlier too. Some guy who belongs to www.txmkiv has vvti, & has a header on his car too! Didn't email me back about the source though............... :rolleyes:

E

·
0 Posts
Eron said:
AFAIK, the only differences in 97-98 for the NA are that they no longer offered the hardtops, the head and taillights are slightly different, and the engine has Lexus' VVTI, so may have a little more low end. If anything, the pre-97's are probably easier to turbo because of this.

Anyone know anything different?
Lets see, so we have hardtops in 97-98... we've got VVTI *only* in 98's... softer suspension in the newer models, different bumper styling... different steering wheel (98)...

.. and I can see from Umair's pic that the front turn signals are different as well...

hmmm...

Well, at least I was right about the headlights and taillights!!! LOL. :p

G

·
0 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong, but 98 supras are also automatic only i believe? so even though the vvt-i gives you a bit more (225hp, 220tq vs. 220hp, 210tq), you probably lose a bit more to the auto tranny anyways :rolleyes:

·
Registered
319 Posts
97 and 98s have black housing headlights and gray or whatever u call those tailights and clear side markers. 93-97 have the same exact na motors. 98 have the vvti same as a is300 which only comes in automatic and they do not have a 5 speed for it. A b16a civic si can out run the 98s na supra in the 1/4 mile. 96 U.S. spec twin turbo only comes in automatic and not 6 speed.

I've heard 96s have problems but i may be wrong on that.

·
Supra Member
1,822 Posts
Also:

Rear end ratio changed from 4.272 to 4.083. Optional LSD changed from worm gear type to helical gear type. Outer CV joint on the axles changed to Rzeppa type (??). ABS changed from 4-channel to 3-channel (among other things too). More structural reinforcement and sound absorbing material. No entry light thing.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
i have a gas cap holder and i also beat civic Si's...also on my passenger airbag cover it says supra on it and seats have no adjustable head rest. The steering wheel is 3 spoke rather than the 4's and the ecu is mounted horizontally ( i think as oppose to the older models who have it verticle.... garland can verify). Its the same engines as the gs 300 and sc 300 vvti models not the is 300. And i think the 98 's don't run distributors of the cams ? also 98's have the bar across the mouth and have the driving lights and turn signals on the bottom. and the 16 inch rims had a different center cap
<br>
<br>

·
Number three Hardtopper
585 Posts
I have a 94 6 speed, and it has a gas cap holder. I upgraded to the clear 97-98 lights. The blackened area in the 97-98 head/taillights is "black plastic" which should have had carbon fiber instead!! This proves even more that the Glass headlights are a better deal. I went with the Glass headlights because they are WAY clearer and they have a motor that makes the headlights move up and down. The 97-98 lights do not have the parking light in them, they were moved to the turnsignals.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts