Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
To Go Beyond
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have slowly been narrowing down information and this is what I have so far.

My automatic transmission works, but does not shift properly since the swap. Keep in mind my car is a 98 body with a FULL 93 turbo swap (motor, ecu, trans, drive shaft, rear end, wire harness, etc).

Here is the noticed problem:

• When driving in "D," the car jumps from 1st, to 2nd, to 3rd, to 4th gear all within a few seconds under normal acceleration placing me in final gear by around 10mph.
  • When decelerating, the car will downshift almost all at once from 4th, to 3rd, to 2nd, to 1st within the last maybe 10mph.
  • When drastic acceleration is called for (stomping on the peddle), the car will continually mope along as if it is under heavy load like if I were towing something.... it will not downshift.

Now, after checking in manuals and with Toyota I have found that all Non-Turbos make use of a "kick-down" cable and all Turbo models are done electronically. So, a "kick-down" cable is not the issue.

I have found only 2 things that were not complete on my supra thus far:

• I do not have the cruise control box nor the cable that would run to it.
  • I do not have the "button" located underneath the drivers peddle.

I do not think cruise control has anything to do with this and it is the least of my worries at this point.

As far as the "button" is concerned, all Auto Turbo Supras from 93-97, NOT 98, have a button located underneath the gas peddle that can only be depressed when the peddle is mashed to the floor. Based on this, I believe that may have something to do with making the transmission "kick down" when I demand it to. However, also based on this, that means that would be the only time this button is used. This, I believe, would not fix this issue of the unnatural shifting from 1st to 4th and 4th to 1st so quickly under normal acceleration and deceleration.

Does anyone know more about the button located under the peddle and all it does?

Has anyone had this issue?

Can anyone suggest something else it may be?

I have contacted several Toyota service departments who all say their techs no nothing about supras.

I would really like to get this working properly as I am getting tired of shifting (though carefully) my automatic manually.

Thank you all so much!

·
To Go Beyond
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
*BumP*

·
To Go Beyond
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, I am overwhelmed by the help and suggestions being offered!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts