Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· adammackintosh.net
6,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
background:
hey curt, im just tryin to rack your brain here, but i'd like to replace my power steering pump because one of my o-rings off the reservoir is starting to leak, and my pump's bearing might be starting to get tired.

so i'd like to replace the pump so i dont have to worry about it for like another 15 years :)

as you will soon know:cool: my car is rhd jspec so my power steering is going to be wildly diffferent routing than LHD.

questions:
is the pump itself identical LHD or RHD on 93tt's ? (if so what cost.. i will order one soon)

actually, i was going to ask you some stuff about the lines coming off the pump and reservoir, but when i get home in <3 hours i will snap some pictures and show you exactly which stuff i'm after.

thx

· adammackintosh.net
6,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i havent got pictures that i'd like to get yet, perhaps i can do that tommorow/this morning

i have another issue, at least i suspect its an issue...

it seems like my AC is the culprit here, when the AC is on its fairly quiet... but when i turn it off it sounds like a bearing is making some noise.

so it seems like it stops when the clutch thing engages in the AC pully, aka when it turns on.

does this sound like a symptom of anything?
if so what should i replace to stop it :)

my friend recommended that i check my auto tensioner aswell as a source of the whining.

the exact symptom is a super charger style noise coming from one/2+ of my pullies and its matched to the RPM, not drivetrain related imo.
i thought it was my power steering pump but im starting to entertain other possibilities.

what do you have to say on that matter? i can prolly do a very nice audioclip video for you if you need something like that to pinpoint the sound.

i might also create a thread soon about it because there is only a few pages that are returned with a forum search of "air conditioning noise" and "AC noise" only searches for 'noise' so that returns about 12 million results lol.

thx Curt, i should be ordering a slew of parts pretty soon :)

· adammackintosh.net
6,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
no the noise is present when the AC is off and gets quiet when its on...

sounds like a bearing somewhere is noisy and then gets quieter when i turn the AC on (maybe the tension quiets a specific part)

maybe the tensioner itself... anything popping into your mind?

[edit] thx for the screwdriver tip below, ill try that today

· adammackintosh.net
6,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Curt, can you send me a power steering pump now

i got to diagnosing my sick grinding/whining noise and it sounds like power steering pump alone is causing all my problems

you should have my email still from the coilpack order yesterday. sorry i didnt order this with them. cc info/mailing info is of course in that email

but i guess it will be like 2 christmas's now instead of 1 lol :wtf:

thx,
Adam Mackintosh

· adammackintosh.net
6,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
order was smooth? lol

is she sent and/or sending today?
seeking tracking codes ahhh, they provide so much fun (i even get to learn names of random american cities)

ty sir

[edit] for post below: thx!

· Premium Member
46,854 Posts
Your package is in the UPS system and has a rescheduled delivery date of 06/25/2009.

Tracking Number: 1Z 604 311 68 4142 243 2
Type: Package
Your shipment is moving within the UPS network and should be delivered on the posted Rescheduled Delivery Date. A shipment can remain in this status until it is delivered. Other than time-definite air deliveries, shipments are generally delivered anytime between the hours of 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. to residences, and by close of business for commercial addresses. UPS cannot schedule a specific delivery time within that window.

What should I do if I'm expecting a delivery?
This is the most up-to-date information about the status of your shipment. For residential deliveries that require a signature, you can leave instructions for the driver if no one will be home. For example, you can ask that it be delivered to a neighbor who will be home. Shipments that don't require a signature can be left in a safe place at the driver's discretion.

In Transit - Rescheduled
Rescheduled Delivery: 06/25/2009
Shipped To: NANAIMO, BC, CA
Shipped/Billed On: 06/17/2009
Reference Number(s): PARTS, 604311G4QN4
Service: STANDARD
Weight: 5.00 Lbs

Your package is on time with a scheduled delivery date of 06/25/2009.

Tracking Number: 1Z 604 311 68 4105 650 7
Type: Package
Your shipment is currently within the UPS network and should be delivered on the Scheduled Delivery Date.

Scheduled Delivery: 06/25/2009
Shipped To: NANAIMO, BC, CA
Shipped/Billed On: 06/18/2009
Reference Number(s): PARTS, 604311FZNJP
Service: STANDARD
Weight: 3.00 Lbs

· adammackintosh.net
6,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey curt i got a question or 6 for you

i installed the PS pump today, which corrected my horrid whining noise when turning and other awesome problems associated with it

however i still have a remaining sound.

im very confident its the a/c clutch

you mentioned the cost of a clutch assy earlier, i might pick that up soon. but id like to research it more

ill make a video of my car idling this weekend for you to audibly hear it

it does make a noise when i turn the a/c on (ac works perfect btw)
however it makes less noise when i press the a/c button....

it sounds like a slight humming+grinding+tinkling sound with a/c off and engine idling.
the noise increases with engine rpm

kinda sounds like a LWFW chatter i guess.

then the instant that i press the a/c button the sound cinches up and you can hear the a/c clutch engage and the sound smooths out alot.

then the a/c kicks on and off every 20sec-1min and you can tell when the a/c is off during this cycle because the sound increases and sounds alot more tinkley when its off

i assume its normal for the a/c to kick on&off every 30 sec (or maybe it isnt and i should get the gas filled up, and its part of the noise issue?)

i dug up this old cost here for the a/c compressor minus clutch.
88320-14600-84 reman compressor w/o clutch list 844.15 cost 596.95

thats a fairly substantial cost, is there any causes of noise besides the clutch assembly? (ie: might i need the whole compressor?)

my next post will include a video for you to listen. i will also put a stethoscope to various components again and see if i have any new findings with that.

please read this post in full at least once; so you can accurately assess.

either i have some rare condition in my a/c compressor unit, or this is a very poorly documented issue. ive searched alot everywhere, and i know for certain my a/c is exhibiting symptoms that are not mentioned anywhere :)

the key here is that there is a slight noise, only annoying to me. and its present with a/c off and on; louder with a/c off?!

maybe my a/c clutch is stuck engaged or something?

[bonus]
if i get a a/c clutch assy; can i just loosen the drive belt and re&re the a/c clutch?
or do i have to remove the PS.... again :)

thx curt, sorry for the wall of text(s) im known to produce.
and im looking forward to installing these plugs/coilpacks tommorow

· Premium Member
46,854 Posts
88410-14230 CLUTCH ASSY LIST 218.44 COST 166.79
88320-14600-84 COMPRESSOR W/O CLUTCH LIST 546.61 COST 416.51 + 20.00 CORE CHARGE.

My Tech said it could be either one. I'd would do the clutch first then go from there. It would be easier replace the clutch off the car , but it could be done with it in place.

· adammackintosh.net
6,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
morning curt, im seeking a few parts now. (2jz-gte)

last time i had my accessory belt off i gave the AC clutch a spin and it sounded gross as hell.
so ill pickup the AC clutch assy now.

and ill take a new waterpump and oem thermostat

i will be installing a billet timing belt tensioner so i need the bolt/washer for the bracket and a new bearing aswell plz. (basically everything except the bracket itself)
also i would like an oem timing belt

i already have a headgasket and arp studs for this job but i will be replacing my oem jdm head with a built usdm head so do you think there is anything else i should get while im doing this?
i read some stuff about a couple gaskets and i will definitely consider some of these while everything is ripped apart. open to suggestions about freshening up wearable parts/rubbers

i am also curious if i need any EGR blockoff type pieces when putting a usdm head on an otherwise completely jdm engine.
i know my jdm intake manifold wont need one but is there one that needs to be installed on the head itself?

thx man, sorry for the jumbled part request list.

[edit] oh i also should get a fan shroud if you can quote me there. TT fan shroud, just the main shroud i dont think i need the little fan thing.
i could also use 1 bolt for it.
long story short my fan shroud turned into shrapnal after it came into contact with the fan while engine was running. no injuries were sustained.

· adammackintosh.net
6,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes ferrea VSS

email me, agm1984 @ gmail . com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.