i emailed him, he said the add is supposed to say

$26000

oh well

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Odd, I emailed him and this is what I got:
Hello,

I'm very glad you are interested in buying my 1994 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo.

It is a great car.Excellent condition.

Here are the selling conditions :

1) Before I ship/drive and/or meet you for inspection the car to you I request a minimum deposit of 50% which is $3000.

2) We will use an escrow service which will take care of this 50% deposit.

My lawyers advised that through an escrow company is the best way to close expensive deals.

Here is the link: http://www.escrowst.com

The fees are very low (0.75%).
I'm already a member of them ([email protected] is my registered email address).
Also you van check my EscrowST rating (22 positive transactions and none of them negative) by
clicking "CHECK AN USER RATING" from their home page (just enter my email).

Here is how we will proceed:

1) start the transaction with me (or I can start it as a seller if you want,just let me know).
2) secure 50% ($3000) to EscrowST (it will act as a third
party securing the funds).
3) after you wire the money , I will ship/drive the car for inspection to you.

IMPORTANT: When you start the transaction , write the first deposit value (50% = $3000), not the total price of the vehicle, we will transact only the first deposit through the escrow service.

After you will approve the car, you will have to wire the balance to me and also tell
escrowSt.com to release the secured funds to me.

This is the only way I can close this deal with you.

I have a busy schedule and I can not meet all my potential buyers because there is great number of persons interested in buying the car.I also intend to sell it quickly because i am kindda tight with money right now, i need the funds by the end of the year.

After the 50% deposit is confirmed ,we can move forward.

Regards,
Dvae Lund

PS: If you will refuse the car after the inspection period (which can be up to 31 days), ESCROWST.COM will return your money back (FULL REFUND) and also you will have to return the car to me.

Also check the following links to see why it is safe to use this kind of service (escrowe):

http://www.escrowst.com/why_escrow.php
http://www.escrowst.com/how_it_works.php

Seems a bit fishy to me.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WTF .. so is it 26 or 6 K ??? if its 6K im gonna snap the bitch up and Re-sell it for like 15K and go buy an NA to start stripping on for my prohject, but if the guy emials two ppl two prices, im not gonna deal with him .. sounds like a crook to me! ~ Brett

·
I love sequentials!
2,578 Posts
he told me $26000

i also had a police friend run the VIN and it does not come up as owned by "Dave Lund" ... so i would assume that the request for money into an escrow is a scam ... why else would you need money before someone even sees the car, etc etc ?

some of the escrow compaines are not legitimate and your money ends up disappearing, that one may be one of them

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh shit, I wonder if theres anyway to stop this? i will see if www.cars.com has a complaint department .. this aint right someones gonna get f*cked for thier $$$

·
I love sequentials!
2,578 Posts
the escrowst.com website record was created on 11/16/03 ?????

·
DitchByTheSideOfTheRoad
485 Posts
Site doesn't even have SSL, yet they have Verisign's name plastered all over it...definetly a scam of some sort. And their link to verisign is javascript and is actually just a page on that webpage made to look like it's from verisign.

Someone should email cars.com and have them remove the ad before someone gets taken for a ride.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just did, i told the feedback thingy on their site, but i dont know if they will get it on time, reguardless im pissed and if someone finds this persons name and or address lemme know :) ~ Brett

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yea, a couple weeks ago there was the same scam going on with a 5500 N/A. I even spoke to the person online, the ad had one name, the -email had another and the persons profile had a different one. I didn't live far from it so I offered cash upon a quick inspection, the only response I got was to "send the money". It was an address in england....

Does escrow work through England?

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Yup, common SCAM. The Escrow is THEIRS and the car likely not theirs. Sad that they're now using Supras for this but no surprise. The 'net is full of scams like this :(

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah I got the same email today. I emailed the guy twice, never got a response the second time when I asked about seeing the car before payment.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Yeap. Even on ebay. Before I bought my 93.5 TT, (6 weeks ago). I was about to do a deal through ebay... (no flaming ebay). These guys had stolen a member id(great feedback and sell rating). But since the car was $21k But had HRE wheels/single Turbo/ Low miles.. this seems like a scam. So I did not bite.

I had spoken with this guy from london who was posing as the seller. But he did not want to use my escrow or secured method. So I walked... Then ebay sent me an email (since I did bid on the car) to not do any deal with that car, since the ID was hacked! If it seems fishy or too good to be true.... It probably is!

One last note on ebay, I did end up buying on ebay. I just made sure I had contact information and did not pay the person until I ran the vin, saw the car, and drove the car.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats on getting the car, as well im glad to hear you didn't fall for the scam, that kinda stuff pisses us all off, and its not fair.. but hey i guess the more they pull, the wiser we get and can avoid it right? together we can not be fooled, synergy is a great thing. ~ Brett

·
Registered
178 Posts
well...

Whats even scarier is that judging from what he has listed in his ad he actually knows what he's talking about when it comes to Supras. Might even be someone from the Supra community.........

Thats not a happy thought.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh shit, that never occured to me, but I tell you what, If ifind out who it is, I will make them disspear :) See above my avitar. I dont take kindly to people trying to rip others off, especially now that that could have been me.. I was going to tackle that deal, that goodness I asked you all on here what the deal was, with your help I was able to avoid it and let it be known so nobody here makes the mistake too.. But on the other hand I didn't get a reply back from cars.com after i warned them about it, so im guessing either they are part of the crime, or they dont reply to customers feedback letters? who knows, I hope they listen tho ~ Brett

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i think many many people were going to tackle that deal, including myself. This idiot needs to be stopped.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
A simple reply to his email was: I'll fly out and pick it up tomorrow with a brief case of money, faster than escrow. Or if you are a scammer feel free to not respond. Never herad back from him again. There is also a 1997 N/A hardtop (but VIN pulls up a sport top/targa) for 9,999....careful! Rarely do insane deals come up, if they do (like the time I missed a local 1994 with 45k miles 6spd for 14k) make sure you do thorough research prior to dwelling into it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts