Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did go on MKIV.com and found an article on how to adjust the valves. Will I be able to do this at home of I need special tools from Toyota? Any education on this subject is appreciated.

Thanks,
Staats

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Can you link me there? I cant find it on the site. Thanks

·
Registered
707 Posts
No special tools required except a way to messure the shims spot on to .000- of an inch. I use a capiler that works great.

Good luck.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yes you do need a special tool if you want the job to be easy. You need a plier like tool that goes around the cam and pushes the shim bucket down so the shim can be removed. There is also a tool that you stick between the cam and bucket that holds the bucket down so you can remove the plier and you can use both hands to remove the shim. You also need a fairly strong magnet like the ones used by mechanics to pick up tools that drop and has the telescoping handle. Snap on makes those above mentioned tools but if you can get the Toyota SST would be better as the Snap on pliers are a little thicker and harder to get inbetween the cam lobe and cam bearings.

·
Sooooooo JDM
1,221 Posts
Honestly, having to pull the cams to swap shims only adds about 20 mins to the exercise. Save your money on SST's and just do it that way. If you know how to add/subtract and can read a service manual, it's not that difficult providing you follow procedure.

I noticed this isn't the first question you have posted of a technical nature that could have been referenced in the manual. Do yourself a favor and buy the service manual. You only need the volume that covers engine repair. It will pay itself back to you tenfold.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ryan,

I have a quick question for you and I understand the manual but just had a question about tools. I think its a future purchase though. I am doing a set of HKS cams right now so I might put them in and then take the measurments and pull them back out and put the corrected shims in. Thanks for the help

Sincerely,
John Staats

·
"Philzilla"
694 Posts

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
I find it much easier to remove the cams to adjust valves than to replace the shims using the snapon tool with the cams in place.

Joe.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick Update

I was stressing over nothing. We put the cams in and the tolerances are nice and tight like my woman. Thanks for everyones help and I am better educated for future adjustments.

Staats

1 - 9 of 9 Posts