Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '94TT with TRD cat-back, RM downpipe, and the FFC and free boost mod. My problem is that the car all of the sudden tonight started popping and hesitating above 5K rpm. Car still runs very strong, in fact I had just raced my wife in our 2000 Vette and walked it by too many car lengths to count. But it's definitely hesitating and popping out the exhaust. It's only got 40K miles on it and it's a 6-speed. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
did you check the plugs ???do you have bcc???

Z

·
0 Posts
yeh check your plugs. thats the problem.

you walked a 2000C5 while hesitating? great kill!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies! It's great to have this kind of resource available. What kind of plugs should I use in place of the factory ones? And I'll order the BCC this week.

Yea, I was surprised I walked the Vette so bad because that car runs good. Wish I had a video camera.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
denso iridium plugs
part # ik22

are the best ones to get !

S

·
0 Posts
Are you sure you were not hitting the rev limiter? If so, probably plugs.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
My car does the same thing... did it with my last plugs a little... does it MORE with my NGK 3330's I was recommended to use the 3330's by so many people on here, and now im hearing they suck... what the hell is up with that?

I would have never bought these cheap plugs if I would have known a lot of people dont like them, probably more than the supporters... should I change my plugs, because I have the 'recommended' plugs and my exhuast pops like a violent motherfucker under WOT... here is what I have done EXACTLY.

Ported, Polished, Clipped 10 degree stock twins (boost from 18-22psi)
Custom intake, cone filter/hardware store wonder
RodMillen Downpipe
Tanabe Racing Medallion
Greddy BCC
NGK 3330's
Bleeder T, wth a rather large T

thats about it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have put two sets of the NGK3330's in my BPU and have never had a problem yet. Powerhouse Racing recommends using them so thats good enough for me.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Yea well I didnt think my car had any problems either... but someone is saying that the popping from the exhuast is bad and caused by the plugs.. thats why im wondering.

I figured it was perfectly normal since it only happens at WOT and when my car is 'aggressive' doesnt happen any other times... seems normal to me... dunno, plugs are brand new as well.

·
Registered
532 Posts
i test drove a car today, its auto with full bpu, and hopefully wilbe buying this car soon. but anyways, to the point, while he was showing me around in the car, at around 5k or above somewhere around there, there was a popping noise coming from exhaust, anywhere from 2-3 pops under hard acceleration. i didnt think it was a problem b/c the car still pulled very nicely. my friend who went with me said its not really a problem, its normal for these cars to do this. it doesnt hurt anything does it? what is the popping noise?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Yea thats exactly what I figured... my car still pulls like a motherfucker, its not slow... but it does pop in the upper rpms or during a shift/break in traction.. even if I sit and rev it to 5-6k rpms real fast in park it pops a little...

·
SupraForums Sponsor
1,020 Posts
if the car is popping but not missing it may be running rich (stock fuel setup is VERY rich to prevent a lean condition)...my 1st supra would occasionally do this, especially when i would shift at redline (no it wasn't hitting the rev limiter)

·
Registered
532 Posts
this popping noise, is this something that an apexi safc will cure?? the owner is gonna throw in one of those if i buy his car.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Jeremy Blackwell..

I think you are correct, because my car is running quite rich... it smells like a lawn mower :D ... I need to get a SAFC pretty soon and lean out the mix a bit.. get some extra power and get rid of the pop.. although it doesnt bother me.

the pop isnt DANGEROUS or anything, correct?... just loud?... I wonder when it pops if I ever get any flamage from the exhuast... the car is running strong as hell and I can loose traction severely while in motion.. so I think everything is just fine (with trac fuse out that is)

·
SupraForums Sponsor
1,020 Posts
you may be blowing a flame or two out the pipes...looks badass at night ;)
rx7's are notorious for doing this, even at idle. most owners of rx7's keep them VERY rich because the motor blows so easy. my good friend's T78 RX7 smokes black at idle most the time...goes through plugs like crazy (fouling)
as long as your dawg isn't stumbling when it pops it is most likely running rich to protect itself. ask someone to follow you to see if you shoot out a bit of black smoke or flame at high rpm/shifts. if so definately time for a safc or better yet the new HKS AFR (more tunable than the safc and a stock MAF car won't stumble when the BOV releases between shifts.... i sale it for about $12 less than the safc as well... check it out at www.ExtremeAutosports.com If you want to start a group purchase on this item email me and we'll work something out. maybe $299 if 15-20 are sold or something )

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Thanks for the reply... when I get around to buying an Air/Fuel computer Ill keep you in mind, sounds like a great deal... And yes, I love the flames that sometimes shoot out.. just like on the Getaway in Stockholm video.. I know thats not something that reflects great performance, but hell.. Id rather be running a little rich and safe then a little too lean and taking a huge risk with my motor... thats why I think I will need to get professional assistance when tuning my Air/Fuel ratio... Ive never done any dyno tuning so I dont know how it works... I am considering waiting a while and just taking it to Sound Performance to get that done at the same time I get a tranny or something... I dont know of any local people qualified to tune my car.. but I have not looked very hard..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts