Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this in the auto cross section because I hope some auto-crossers can shed some light on the subject.

Well, Im looking at buying a 95 Nissan 240sx SE. Its the blue-ish teal color, black leather in decent shape, 5spd, 93kmiles on it, stock motor, intake, exhaust all stock.
However, the car does have tokico shocks and shorter springs. It also has bigger and drilled rotors as well as better pads. My question is, this car clearly had to be beat on quite a lot and auto crossed correct? I drove it, and it felt fine. handled nice, no noises other then the brakes. The brakes were insanely loud. I mean, really loud. just driving around, not touching the breaks, i can hear the rotors. I can also hear the rotors coming to a stop as well. He said thats normal because there aftermarket and bigger, (slotted, ect) He said he was going to put a sr20 in it but decieded not to. Do do you guys think this 93kmile 240sx with suspesion is most likely going to turn into a lemon to due the mods? Paint is good, couple stratches, nothing major.
He is looking for $4500obo. Do you think this is a good deal? Thanks alot guys

na-t Dave

·
b00st junkie
433 Posts
I don't really know the pricing of S14 240s right now, but that seems like a decent deal.

Considering the abuse that my 240 has been through, this doesn't sound anywhere close to a lemon. The KA is a very reliable engine and, although it isn't super powerful, it is a lot of fun. What exactly do you intend to do with the car? I've found that as long as you keep up regular maintenance on these cars, they will just keep on rolling.

My girlfriend and I have both been driving my S13 at HPDEs and autoXs for about a year and a half (she still drives it, I drive my SE-R). My first engine developed leaky valve stem seals after 6 months of abuse (small puff of smoke), I picked up a second engine for $50 and threw that in there. The car starts every time, doesn't complain at all from all the track abuse, and the only thing that has gone out on me is a starter. I converted it from an auto tranny, and originally it slung off a couple bolts from the driveshaft, but a fresh nut a bolt and a welder fixed that. Great car for learning on considering how little power it has, the incredible reliability, and it is extremely predictable and fun to drive.

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
Do you auto-x the Supra Dave? I was wondering if yu weren't going to do this with your own car and looking for another to use. The mk3 is heavy but with practice and a good setup I think it will be a decent competitor at least locally.

·
b00st junkie
433 Posts
hah, that's funny. I thought you were talking to me, since my name is Dave also :).

The mk3, albeit extremely heavy, is not a bad car for starting. Dave, do you intend on doing road course events, or primarily autoX and such? Using the mk3 just like it is would probably be fine for a few autoX, just so you can get into it.
Too many people decide they need another car, modified at that, before they can begin doing events. You'll learn more about your car and may find that you really like it, or find flaws that you never noticed before. FYI, I try to make it a rule that any car that I buy seems some form of driving event before I dump any money into it, just so I can immediately determine where the weak point is, so I can fix that before doing stuff it doesn't need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts