Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i have tried to search many forums and this one too to resolve my question but i cant quite get the info i need, if you could help in my new possible purchase i would be greatful. My question is.. The Supra iam looking at says its a "1996 RZ with 6 speed and all the updated looks" from what i have read 1996 was only available with an auto box. Is there a month in 96 when production started on the updated look and 6 speed or is this car a 97? i Have looked at the car but when i did i was not aware of the model changes and also did not look at the VIN. It definately has the updated lights and grill and also twin air bags and the like. Is there one defining feature that designates it as a 96 or is the VIN the only way to track this down. The car shop is now closed till new year. Thanks if you can help
Kind Regards
Craig

·
Big Member
707 Posts
i thought 96 being auto was for emissions in the us, so there could possibly be a rz model with a 6 speed, i think

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Like stated above, I think the lack of 6spds in 96 only occurred in the USA and Canada (?) I'm assuming you are in Australia, so there probably are 6spds in 96.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Search! Also, check the instrument cluster. 96 on had a analogue speedo reading instead of digital. (From memory). Check the VIN that's the best way to check for sure what year it is.
BTW: RZ = TT - In the US its TT or NA.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your responses and like i said i did "search" and could not find info like Analogue speedo instead of Digital, and US emmisions compared to Japan, so thankyou for your replies that helps me alot :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Indeed, just to reiterate - J-spec supras were manual throughout production. US emission laws in 1996 ruled out the manual for the US speck version, however it was back on the menu for 1997 (not sure if it was back with VVTi, or they had manual non-vvti 1997 models, US guys?)

There is a good article about supras on either www.mkiv.com or www.mkiv.co.nz entitled 'farewell to the supra'...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Drake said:
Indeed, just to reiterate - J-spec supras were manual throughout production. US emission laws in 1996 ruled out the manual for the US speck version, however it was back on the menu for 1997 (not sure if it was back with VVTi, or they had manual non-vvti 1997 models, US guys?)

I have a 1997 Facelift TT 6-Speed Jap Import, so they are available, mine is about 2 months before VVTi's were introduced.

Also, the European models (although not sold AFTER 1996), had 1996 6 Speeds, but these where not the facelift models.

Ben..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Soontohavesoop said:
I have a 1997 Facelift TT 6-Speed Jap Import, so they are available, mine is about 2 months before VVTi's were introduced.

Also, the European models (although not sold AFTER 1996), had 1996 6 Speeds, but these where not the facelift models.

Ben..
Yea, i know J-spec were avaiable in manual throughout production - just wonderng if non-vvti 6 speed 1997 US-spec supras were made? Or if they only managed to get under emission levels with manual on vvti post '96 in US?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts