Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking around for pics of repainted 97 headlights. Due to flaking of the paint inside. Does anyone have pics of a flat black color? My car is black and I am wonder if it would look better flat black instead of the stock '97 headlight color. Any ideas? I tried searching I found one or two pics. But none as a complete headlight. Thanks

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that tutorial is more for buffing the lense. The inside where the projectors are next to the rings..the paint is peeling there. I wanted to see some pics of housings that were painted black. Thanks

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have some pics somewhere of my housings painted black, I will try to find. I painted the chrome rings too, if I did another set I would tape them off.

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
no he posted the tutorial is for ravan who was talkin about needing to bake them. That's not needed because they are glass headlights it's needed to soften the silicon sealant on all the types of lights so you can pull them apart. You could use a heat gun though, prob safer.

I think I have seen some black housing lights. They dont look too bad IMO. Maybe i can find some for you.

Alex

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,462 Posts
Alx2785 said:
no he posted the tutorial is for ravan who was talkin about needing to bake them. That's not needed because they are glass headlights it's needed to soften the silicon sealant on all the types of lights so you can pull them apart. You could use a heat gun though, prob safer.

I think I have seen some black housing lights. They dont look too bad IMO. Maybe i can find some for you.

Alex
I won't give out the color code, sorry makaveli200369. Send them to me if you want them done with the color I use.

I recommend baking when disassembling, as the lights are heated uniformly, whereas a heat gun heats segments only and could lead to warping when separation is taking place.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So in your opinion did they look better then the stock '97 color? Its the same black base as the color of my car so it would match. I would leave it as a flat black and not clear it so it looks a bit tougher. I will tape off the chrome rings when I spray it. I wonder if it will look nicer matching in color. Kinda like how the Ferrari 360 or new vette headlights are matching the paint.

Thats cool MD. I was planning on taking the back housing to the paint shop to have a color matched to it if I didnt go with the black. Thanks.

·
Recovering Supraholic
551 Posts
IMG <http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lunamcs/detail?.dir=/e8c0re2&.dnm=9e9cre2.jpg&.src=ph> /IMG

This are pre 97 painted black

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so what do you guys think..will it look better using the exact paint color code used to repaint my car. It will be matching black. Or should I try to repaint it the stock '97/98 housing color?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Gunmetal wheel paint works pretty well. It looks a lot like the 98 housing, but personally I like the flat black, I think that's the direction I'm going to go. It'll match the rear tail lights from the pre-97s... which I have. :)

·
Recovering Supraholic
551 Posts
since your car is black i'd go with the matching, that mod does not look good on other colors since our headlights have too much black trim, unlike the 360 or the c6

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
anyone have some bigger pic of the black housing on '97's and if possible on a black car. any pics will do though

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,462 Posts
Ravan17 said:
can anyone tell me if the plastic lights can be repainted?
The clear plastic? It can be but I would leave that to a body shop. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts