Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I've been a member since 2015 when I first arrived in Japan, but didn't have the ability to own a car. Since I'm getting close to turbo time, I felt it was right to start the build thread, starting from when I purchased the car in 2019, to where it's at today.
Water Sky Cloud Boat Watercraft

Through the 2018 year, I was still attached to a ship (Navy) but I found out I would be staying in Japan, so I started to save up as much money as possible while on deployment. Just as an example, when I first got to Yokosuka back in 2015, there was a red NA Auto Supra in the lemon lot for sale for 2500. Around this time, Supra's and all JDM cars had started to creep up in price.

I started my search, seeing TT 6 Speed cars for around the high 20s to low 30s. I ended up finding a company in Nagoya that had a few Supra's and GTRs in stock. They had a TT Supra with a 6 speed altezza transmission, and this SZ-R.

Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Toyota supra Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Hood

Speedometer Gear shift Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Car Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive side marker light

Speedometer Plant Car Odometer Motor vehicle

It's a 97 SZ-R with around 110,000km or around 69,000 miles. I can't find the documents, but I remember the price being around 13k. This is for a Series 2 with the V161. Feeling like this checked all the boxes for me, I irresponsibly wired the money and awaited the car.

I received the car about 2 months later after it went through the Japanese shaken process. They said they were shipping the car, but it was just a japanese guy who drove the car and dropped it off? Weird I thought.

As you can see, the car clearly had some weird issues. The front sits extremely high and the front bumper i the ugliest thing i've ever seen. It has a mix of series 1 and series 2 parts. So I drove the car to base and proceeded to smack a curb with said bumper due to my zero experience in driving a manual lol. Here is the damage.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Bumper Vehicle door

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I decided not to stress about the shit bumper since I hated it anyways. Over the following month, I improved my manual skills and drove the car without many issues. The car came with some terrible blue LED lights, so I swapped them to some cheap white LEDS.
Speedometer Light Odometer Gauge Tachometer

While on a long drive, when I popped the hood, I noticed a nasty crack in my radiator pipe.
Hood Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

This prompted me to go with an upgraded Koyo radiator and cap, which I did in the parking lot of my dorm building. Here is everything back together.
Product Azure Rectangle Wood Textile

Automotive parking light Car Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Personal luxury car

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive air manifold Car

After she was good to go again, I took her over to the auto hobby shop to do a fluid change and new trans mount.
Liquid Fluid Bottle Cosmetics Material property
b
Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car Automotive tail & brake light Tire

BTW, they took my Japanese plate and gave me a Y plate. Lame.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I got the car, the radio didn't work due to the antenna. I grabbed one of those FM bluetooth transmitters for a temporary fix, which worked, but i found out the speakers were in terrible shape.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Trunk

As you can see, they're completely destroyed. So i ordered some Supra Store speaker brackets and a China Atoto radio. This was paired with some cheap Rockford Fosgate Speakers, which suited my use just fine.
Font Line Material property Electric blue Logo

Circuit component Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Newspaper Cable

This unit is quite nice for the price. I paired it with a front view driving recorder and a rearview camera. I had no issues with this unit for years, though it could be a bit slow at times.

I lived on base for a while before getting the opportunity to move to Ome, which has an awesome and popular touge right behind me. While lookin for a house, my number one criteria was my own large parkin area. I got quite lucky with this place. Abou a year later the house next to me to the left got torn down, and my driveway got extended, so I had even more space. Movers arriving.
Tire Plant Property Car Vehicle

Random R34 I saw while grocery shopping. I've seen about 3 Midnight Purple R34 GTRS in the wild and 1 Bayside blue, though the MNP might have been the same car.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Cleaned the car up and decided to and shoot some photos.
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Sky Car Vehicle

Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate

Speedometer Car Gear shift Motor vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Sky

I have this nasty bit of glue/residue that I have not been able to successfully remove. I'm worried about damaging the dash, so I have left it alone for now.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Grey Automotive exterior

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some Supras spotted around base. Don't see many anymore.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Automotive parking light

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle

Finally snagged a S2 shifter surround as mine was a S1 and in terrible shape.
Grey Gadget Personal protective equipment Fashion accessory Carbon

Gear shift Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Found a S2 bumper on Yahoo Auctions Japan, so I dropped the car off at STF tuning to have it paint matched. I also picked up this OEM front bumper mounting kit from YAJ.
Wood Rectangle Font Tints and shades Flooring

Furniture Building Comfort Shade Wood

Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Bumper Automotive design

Bumper all paint matched. Not perfect, but not bad. No lip yet, but coming soon.
Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Hood

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My logic behind lips is that cheaper is better. Lips often get scraped up, so it didn't make sense for me to spend an absurd amount of money on one. So I grabbed an ebay lip! I also eventually added the S2 markers.

Before:

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car

After with S2 markers and S2 bumper grill:
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Wheel Vehicle registration plate

After with ebay lip:
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

The car really started coming together at this point. I ended up sourcing some OEM struts which made the car sit proper in the front.

Donor car for the suspension
Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car Hood Automotive lighting

Blue Gas Wood Electric blue Metal

Wood Line Font Cable Metal

While installing the struts, I found a missing front subframe bolt. That got replaced.
Automotive tire Rim Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive wheel system

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shortly after, I swapped to HKS Hipermax IV. I honestly don't like these coilovers as they're extremely stiff in my opinion. They handle amazingly in the mountains though.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Product Yellow Vehicle

I sourced some Work Emotion wheels. These wheels are common in Japan due to them being quite cheap and have a wide range of offsets and sizes.
Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tire Tread

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Got them sprayed black and this is the result with the coilovers and wheels.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Cloud

Went ahead and recleared the headlights as they were peeling. Will be swapping to S2 soon.
Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Hood

·
Just a guy who loves cars
94' Turbo, Targa, 6 spd, Ren Red.
592 Posts
Geez, this reminds me of my tour in Japan and my A80 there. I wonder if any of the old crew still hangs out at the hobby shop. I had so much fun going to the parking areas. This was back 2007-2009 though. I bought my 97 turbo, 6 spd for twenty something. I know, RZ-S, whatever. Good luck with the build. I never used UPGarage but I know a lot of people who had luck with that.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Geez, this reminds me of my tour in Japan and my A80 there. I wonder if any of the old crew still hangs out at the hobby shop. I had so much fun going to the parking areas. This was back 2007-2009 though. I bought my 97 turbo, 6 spd for twenty something. I know, RZ-S, whatever. Good luck with the build. I never used UPGarage but I know a lot of people who had luck with that.
I actually got orders again to Yokosuka. So went from Yokosuka to Yokota and right back to Yokosuka.
I know one day I'll have to leave, so I'm just trying to enjoy everyday I can here. The community is still kicking but less people are able to get into it due to the prices of these cars. I rarely see Supras anymore on base. Used to know of around 8.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Question did you end up buying your Supra from a company called Japan partner inc? I was stationed in Japan also from 2010-2015. Yokosuka and Sasebo. Just flew out of Yokosuka last month finally on vacation and getting my car worked on.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Question did you end up buying your Supra from a company called Japan partner inc? I was stationed in Japan also from 2010-2015. Yokosuka and Sasebo. Just flew out of Yokosuka last month finally on vacation and getting my car worked on.
Yea I did get the car from them. They had pretty good prices around the time I got the car. Now they're quite expensive.

·
592 Posts
I actually got orders again to Yokosuka. So went from Yokosuka to Yokota and right back to Yokosuka.
I know one day I'll have to leave, so I'm just trying to enjoy everyday I can here. The community is still kicking but less people are able to get into it due to the prices of these cars. I rarely see Supras anymore on base. Used to know of around 8.
Even in 2008 there were very few Supras. I think I had the only modified Turbo car. A guy showed up toward the end and bought a stock turbo. There was also a baltic blue non-turbo but that car was a basket case. There were probably only 5 of us who were big in the car seen. Is "Big E" still around? He only has one good arm.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Even in 2008 there were very few Supras. I think I had the only modified Turbo car. A guy showed up toward the end and bought a stock turbo. There was also a baltic blue non-turbo but that car was a basket case. There were probably only 5 of us who were big in the car seen. Is "Big E" still around? He only has one good arm.
Sounds like good times man. There are a lot more owners instead of enthusiasts. People buy the cars and try to flip them 6 months later for twice the price. Then you see the occasional crashed cars. One guy wrecked a Supra about a year ago.

I don't know of anyone by Big E. I'm up at Yokota Air Base though.

·
592 Posts
Oh, well when you get back to Yokosuka if you see a big guy with one working arm thats big E.

·
Registered
1993 JDM 5spd SZ hardtop in 202 blek.
402 Posts
The front bar that came with the car (which you mentioned you didn't like) is actually pretty rare and quite desirable in many circles. It's made by a company called Zeek.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So while trying to sort out some rear end issues, I decided to swap the rear subframe and diff to the strongflex red bushings. The rear subframe is extremely easy to remove if you have a lift. So far i'm happy with the bushings. They fit well and are well priced.
Food Cuisine Ingredient Recipe Sweetness

Automotive tire Pipeline transport Bicycle part Motor vehicle Crankset
White Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper
Hand tool Wood Metalworking hand tool Gas Tool
Wood Gas Auto part Metal Hand tool
Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Auto part Automotive exterior

1 - 20 of 29 Posts