Supra Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Registered
What size tires? If they're shorter then you're going to need more turning around to get the diff up. Full lock the steering wheel and do donuts (very low speed circles, not burnouts) in reverse in both directions a couple of times. Neighbors might think you're nuts, tell them you have a dissability and get invited to watch parties/bbq and enjoy the free beer.

Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have the stock size 17's front and rear. Stickier tires than what the car came with but I need to replace them soon, tread is getting low. 馃榿

Registered
The gear shop I'm working with recommends Lucas 85W-140 conventional oil in everything. It is really sticky, they claim it rides up the gear and keeps it cooler. You can see in those little displays in Autozone, the oil rides up the gears with Lucas additive. The shop claims synthetic slips off the gears too easily. They work mostly with 4WD stuff.

I have it in my car. At first, I didn't like it because it would chatter on the first couple turns when cold no matter how well you worked it in there. Now, after driving the car at least a dozen times and 400 miles or so, it stopped chattering on the first couple turns.

The TRD can be finicky about oil/additives. The original recommendation was for TRD conventional oil, which is no longer made, or at least available in the USA.

Al

Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So after draining a little of the Mobil 1 fluid to put in some more Redline Friction modifier I still have the chattering after 1,000 miles I have put on it in the last 5 months. The chatter is terrible backing up or going forward at any low speed turning. I'm kind of at a loss on what to do. Go back to Redline gear oil with two bottles of friction modifier or something else. Get another LSD? Is my TRD diff a TiRD?

Who made the TRD diff for Toyota. Anyone know?

Smith & Wesson Member
I use - Red Line 58204 Heavy ShockProof Gear Oil & ACDelco 88900330 - Limited Slip Lubricant Additive

Been running this in my TRD Diff for over 13 years - Absolutely no issues. No chatter, noises or vibrations, just like stock.

I've been using the GM additive, for all my clutch type POSI differentials, for over 40 years.

Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Does anybody know who made the TRD diff for the Supra?

Boost Junkie
No idea. You may want to send it to a shop like Sound Performance or someone familiar with them and have them take a look. The pumpkin w/diff weights around 125lbs so I'd slap it on a pallet and ship it to them freight.

Steve

Smith & Wesson Member
I agree, you should take out the diff and inspect it.

Check the driveshaft universal joints also.

Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
I talked with both Larry at SP & Dusty at MVP. We are going to give a heavier fluid a chance here and see what happens.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts