Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my supra last week, and I've been breaking it in since then. My buddy has an 02' STi With BPU, including a fmic and full exhaust, as well as a boost controller. His boost is upped 3 psi I believe, and mine is totally stock. We were driving around one night last week when we came upon a new road we've never seen. It was a 4 lane road past this ******* community, so we took a reconissance mission and checked it out. We did a u turn at the end, lined up and tried a run. From a dig, he pulled on me by about a car, but then my turbo's came in ( I love saying turbo's, still not used to it!!) and I caught up. Doing about 60 now, I proceeded to pass him at a steady pace and continued to do so up to about 110. This kid can tune, and his car was running well, but I definitely put him in his place. Since then, he's installed a UTEC piggyback with launch control and other things, and I've got my XS boost controller ready for next week's run. Until then, see ya.

Kill

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Killbert said:
My buddy has an 02' STi With BPU, including a fmic and full exhaust, as well as a boost controller. It was a 4 lane road past this ******* community, so we took a reconissance mission and checked it out.
You say '02 Sti? In the US Sti's came out in '04. :dunno:
I assume you're in the US.

·
Registered
904 Posts
If you are indeed totally stock you will hit boost cut if you up the boost and your friend will beat you. :eek:

·
what comes out the butt?
4,463 Posts
agreed...

i slightly modded STI should DEFINATELY be able to take a stock supra...for the most part...average drivers running a couple more lbs that stock will run low 13s to high 12s..

-mike

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I doubt its a current gen STi. Maybe an older model import? Nearly nobody runs boost controllers on STi's without engine managament because doing so has a tendancy to blow things up. The stock ECU setup isn't very mod friendly. Also, a FMIC is a fairly advanced mod considering all the relocations necessary.

A stock MKIV is slightly faster than a stock 04-05 STi, although in a short 1/4 mile race my money would be on the STi unless the MKIV had a really good driver. On the highway a stock MKIV would win. Put a BPU modded STi against a stock MKIV and the STi would win, since basic EM and a TBE yield about 280-300awhp. Put a BPU Supra against a BPU STi and the Supra would destroy the STi in a straight line, although the STi would still outlaunch it. I'm assuming equally skilled drivers here.

IF that was a current gen STi, it should have been able to beat the MKIV.

Both great cars :)

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
My friend has an 04 sti with a turbo xs turbo back exhaust and a cobb tuning accessport running a stage 2 map. He should be right at about 290 whp and a little more torque. I just bought my first MKIV, and it's bone stock. Having driven both cars, the STI is easier to drive fast and has a wider powerband. Which car is faster all depends on the type of race. In a short 1/8 or 1/4 sprint, stock for stock it would be close. A modified sti in this scenario would be virtually impossible to beat with a stock supra. On the other hand, I'm very confident that my stock supra could be very competitive with my friends modified STI from say 50mph and up. I've only had the car for 2 weeks and I'm working on getting some mods, as well as learning how to drive this car. I've learned quickly that the supra takes some skill to drive.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe it is an 04.... Can't even see his endtanks, front is all intercooler. As for me, I'm well aware of boost cut and I'm not going to blissfully tune past it. Well, he got me off start, but I passed him. My car hit 12psi while racing him then, and 13 on the highway that same night. I haven't been able to hit 13 psi since. I'm not yet using a boost controller.

Kill

·
what comes out the butt?
4,463 Posts
Killbert said:
Maybe it is an 04.... Can't even see his endtanks, front is all intercooler. As for me, I'm well aware of boost cut and I'm not going to blissfully tune past it. Well, he got me off start, but I passed him. My car hit 12psi while racing him then, and 13 on the highway that same night. I haven't been able to hit 13 psi since. I'm not yet using a boost controller.

Kill
if your car is stock how did you know you hit 12lbs?!... :freak:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welll if your lieing im going to personally come over there and eat you alive :D . If your not, your friend is a horrible driver and should of :69: you. Good kill if it's real :bigthumb:

-Dino

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i dont't know how you pulled that one man!!My two mates raced a while back one had a stock 94 TT Supra and the other Wrx with BPU and not only did the WRX get the Launch on him he had him till 170km/h!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
13 psi on a stock supra? wow that's impressive, considering with my downpipe and intake i only hit 13 on a cold day.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts