Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a daily driver for when i come home this summer and for college next year. I need a SUV bottom line since i go to West virginia University and the hills will beat any car. I have been looking for a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter V8. I was wondering if any of you guys no if there was any problems with these 98 V8 jeeps. My brother had a 98 v6 jeep but Id like to go for the V8. Any input or even suggestions would be great. Im not looking to spend anything over $7000.
Thanks

·
I have auto ADD.
4,568 Posts
Fuck Morgantown roads.

I'd stay away from that model Grand Cherokee though. I've had a couple friends with them, one had the tranny take a dump, the other had an untraceable electrical problem and wouldn't start.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
My 1994 5.2L Grand Cherokee racked up over 165K miles before the trans blew. I threw in a reman'd trans/transfer case for $1500. The thing still runs great!

The 1998 5.9L used to be the quickest SUV available. I know my 5.2L ran hard. They don't weigh as much as you would think. The only drawback is the gas mileage. Yikes. My 5.2L got an all-time best of 18mpg on a long trip. Around town it got like 11mpg or so. The 5.9L is even worse... :faint:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the roads are bad here and ive always like the grand cherokee. Can anyone else recommend a somewhat cheap SUV?
Thanks

·
Registered
900 Posts
Sure you don't want to reconsider a 6-cylinder instead? They're a bit better on gas and a little cheaper to repair. I've had several ZJ Grand Cherokees,right now a 94 (had it in the family since new) and a 96 I bought for a lot less than $7K.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Can't go wrong with a 4Runner. Those babies run until the body falls off...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i wouldnt rule out a V6 jeep long as it had leather ,but since i sold my supra a few weeks back i would like something with alittle bit of power.

·
Supraforums Member
704 Posts
Wow I guess since we're talking about workhorse Grand Cherokees I may as well give the ride which took me and my brother through College. 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L Laredo. I'm pretty sure the old girl has 234,xxx miles on her and it still takes me to philly to see the girlfriend on weekends (I'm afraid of leaving the Supra in West Philly).

What can I say about it's tour of duty:
The Good
It's been in the family since I was a freshman in high school, so nearly 8 years now and no matter how hard we've beaten it, the motor won't die. We ditched the catalytic converter for some straight pipes and it also has a ram air intake. It still has plenty of power to get out of it's own way.

The Bad
It won't die. I'm trying. I really am trying to kill it.

The Ugly
Tranny went nearly 100k ago. My brother was racing a v8 bronco stop light to stop light and she shit the bed. At least we won.
Fuel pump went about 50k ago. Replaced and back up.
The body is rusting in the hatch area, doors, and hood. Also have to keep in mind I don't think it was ever bathed by anything but rain.

Overall, it's been a hell of truck. It still runs hard and strong. Uses hardly any oil and every now and then the rebuilt tranny will give a hick up. I raced a later model Grand Cherokee (not the latest body style but the previous) with the 4.7L H.O. engine. As long as I lead the launch and nailed every shift, I won the race. But remember, the gas mileage sucks in these.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I found a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 5.9 L black exterior with black leather interior. Original owner has 75K original miles on it and i can get it for $7000. NADA.com says clean retail it would go for $8500. I thought it sounded like a fair price.

·
PREPOSTERONE
921 Posts
well...to be honest i would stick with toyota man find yourself a nice used 4runner...want more power throw the TRD supercharger on it you can find those for cheap these days...my tacoma is an 02 crew cab 4x4 with 140 000 hard miles with lots of off roading and stop and go. It still runs like a champ i use it for work.

·
I have auto ADD.
4,568 Posts
My Mitsu Montero Sport was very good to me. You can find the pre-faclift ones (97-99) for really cheap, like 5k-7k with 4WD.

And of course 4Runners are great and you can't go wrong with those.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ill take a look at the 4runners. Ive always liked them too and you cant go wrong with toyota but I know i would like something with leather and be 4x4. Anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts