Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is pissing me off. My car has had some smoking problems for about a month and I need someone to help me figure out what is wrong with it. I will list everything that I know so far.

Mobil 1 15w50
92,000 miles
small amount of oil in y pipe (turbo side)
smokes white/blue at every red light
dosen't smoke white on start up at all
ttc mode
Apexi boost controller
Boosts around 16psi when warm outside, 19 or 20psi when its cold.

Thats about all I know about it right now. I guess my question would be is it my valve stem seals or turbo seals? I'm leaning more toward valve seal myself .

·
Registered
437 Posts
SupradupraTT said:
My car is pissing me off. My car has had some smoking problems for about a month and I need someone to help me figure out what is wrong with it. I will list everything that I know so far.

Mobil 1 15w50
92,000 miles
small amount of oil in y pipe (turbo side)
smokes white/blue at every red light
dosen't smoke white on start up at all
ttc mode
Apexi boost controller
Boosts around 16psi when warm outside, 19 or 20psi when its cold.

Thats about all I know about it right now. I guess my question would be is it my valve stem seals or turbo seals? I'm leaning more toward valve seal myself .

Why are you using 15W50. I think thats way too thick! Anyways you might want to check your compression to see if those rings are okay but in the mean time I"m leaning towards your turbo seal..

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to everyone else on here 15w50 is a good oil to run in supras because it doesn't break down as easy. They say 10w30 is too thin for supra. I just did what everyone else is doing.
Just did a compression check yesterday when I put new plugs in.
Results:
1 158
2 157
3 158
4 160
5 159
6 160.

I believe that those are good readings considering the mileage. May I remind everyone that the car doesn't smoke while boosting. Only when I come to a stop at a red light or let the car idle for a few minutes

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
i'd be careful how far you stray from the stock oil recommendations. 10w30 was printed on my engine.

Many people seem to like running thicker oil because it eases valve seal leakage, this isn't a good reason to run thick oil though. The thick oil could very well be the reason for your leaky turbo seals.

Do you have a catch can or are you running the stock PCV hoses?

·
BoosT AddicT
238 Posts
It says run 10w30 on mine as well.. i always run 10w30 in all my cars and i've never had an issue. running to thick of oil can cause more harm then good..

gmacrae said:
i'd be careful how far you stray from the stock oil recommendations. 10w30 was printed on my engine.

Many people seem to like running thicker oil because it eases valve seal leakage, this isn't a good reason to run thick oil though. The thick oil could very well be the reason for your leaky turbo seals.

Do you have a catch can or are you running the stock PCV hoses?

·
Registered
277 Posts
My car smokes on start up so everone says its valve stems but doesn't have any problems smoking when I come to a red light, what would signs of turbo seals be?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
If it's the valve seals you should see smoke as soon as you start the car. My guess is that 92K miles and up to 20 psi of boost has wore one or both of the turbos out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts