Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
dyno

Hey guys,
I am gonna be dynoing my car soon to see what I put to the wheels bone stock. How are u suppose to dyno an auto? Do I need race gas to prevent detonation, even though the boost is stock? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. What do u guys think a bone stock auto will put down? I hope its around 305 rwhp. I'll post the results for everyone as sonn as I dyno.

S

·
0 Posts
bone stock auto will put dpwn more like 280-295 RWHP...

I doubt you will get 305 since the autos lose more power than a 6 spd.

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Auto's do lose more power. My 6 speed put down 309 rwhp bone stock... Keep us posted.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. Peter did u get your car back yet? Do u guys think it would be cheating if I iced my intercooler, i.c. piping, and also used race gas? Would any of that help?

·
Registered
532 Posts
its not cheating if u ice it down, it just helps to simulate real world driving conditions. i couldnt tell u about the race gas, but i dont think it will make a difference b/c 1) the weather here is real nice rite now so i dont think there will be much of a problem with heat and 2) youre still running stock boost. and not only that, its not like your gonna be running race gas 24/7, so u mite as well just do it on pump. i would say expect anywhere from 280-290 rwhp..later
kevin

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whats up Kev? Did u sell your ride yet? Have u taken it to Carmax to see what they'll give u? I hope I put more than 280 to the wheels. I guess I need to get to the dyno, soon.
yoshie

S

·
0 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the average was a 20% loss in power from the crank to the wheels. Supra TT's make 320hp stock, so shouldn't a stock Supra put down about ... *does some thinking* ... 256hp to the wheels?

Does the Supra just have a really efficient drivetrain, or am I messed up on numbers somewhere?

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
swackerl said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the average was a 20% loss in power from the crank to the wheels. Supra TT's make 320hp stock, so shouldn't a stock Supra put down about ... *does some thinking* ... 256hp to the wheels?

Does the Supra just have a really efficient drivetrain, or am I messed up on numbers somewhere?
Suras were WAY underrated at 320hp. On average they make 300rwhp stock, which divided by .85 (15% loss) equals 353hp.

Andi

C

·
0 Posts
I hope its around 305 rwhp.
Yoshie, in general I would not worry about the dyno numbers. They may be okay as a benchmark to see what you start off with and how much you pick up with upgrades but it seems like the dyno numbers for automatics underestimate what they can actually do on the road.

I guess it just depends on what your using the numbers for.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kev,
my cell is 281-650-4446.
Chappy,
I dynoed just to get a baseline, so I could know how much I pick up with the mods. R u comin out on Sat.?

I dynoed my car today and the results are:
281.3 rwhp/269.0rwt
I dynoed on 93 octane, and no cooling besides a fan pointed towards the intercooler. Weak? Yeah. Time to throw on the BPU parts in my garage? Definately. I knew the auto wont put down impressive #'s on the dyno, but this car does what I bought it for a lot better than my 6spd did and that is launching hard CONSISTANTLY of the line.

·
DitchByTheSideOfTheRoad
485 Posts
I got 275/275 on my stock dyno run so you did a bit better...however the guy that dynoed my car didn't know how to dyno correctly and the rest of the guys said they were dynoing lower than normal that day as well

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SDSUPRATT,
I wasn't sure on how to dyno my car either, we did three runs and the #'s I posted were the best. LOL, one set of #'s were 50/52 cause the car shifted gears! Your torque was a little higher than mine, even though my hp was a little bit more than yours.

·
DitchByTheSideOfTheRoad
485 Posts
Yeah mine shifted on the other 2 runs that he did for me, and for the other autos that were there that day. I specifically asked him to not let the car shift down so he didn't step on it until he was sure the car wouldn't shift. Next time gonnna leave trac fuse in and use the manu mode. :(

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
My stock auto did close to 280 rwhp. With a downpipe and TRD exhaust, I dynoed 323 rwhp/310 ft-lbs at vegas 2001. The proper way to dyno is to turn the trac conrol off and disable overdrive. Bring the car to 3rd gear and slowly bring it up to around 3000 rpm. Then, you can mash the peddle for the dyno run.

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
XCELR8 said:
My stock auto did close to 280 rwhp. With a downpipe and TRD exhaust, I dynoed 323 rwhp/310 ft-lbs at vegas 2001. The proper way to dyno is to turn the trac conrol off and disable overdrive. Bring the car to 3rd gear and slowly bring it up to around 3000 rpm. Then, you can mash the peddle for the dyno run.
3rd gear is absolutely NOT the way to dyno. Always use 4th gear. I've seen BPU's lose 30+rwhp due to dynoing in 3rd, because there isn't enough load on the dyno to get full boost...

:)

Andi

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
Ummm, we're talking about an auto here, not a 6 speed. 4th gear is overdrive for an auto. Anyway, I can't dyno now in anything but 3rd gear as I don't have a BCC so anytime I step on it in 4th gear I hit fuel cut. My car is not at BPU level (no boost mods) so if I'm losing any HP by dynoing in 3rd gear on an auto, I'm impressed at the figures I got just for exhaust mods.

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
XCELR8 said:
Ummm, we're talking about an auto here, not a 6 speed. 4th gear is overdrive for an auto. Anyway, I can't dyno now in anything but 3rd gear as I don't have a BCC so anytime I step on it in 4th gear I hit fuel cut. My car is not at BPU level (no boost mods) so if I'm losing any HP by dynoing in 3rd gear on an auto, I'm impressed at the figures I got just for exhaust mods.
Oh, I'm sorry I didn't realize you had an auto. My bad. :( For an auto, 3rd gear is the best gear... and coincidentally it's the same as the 6spd's 4th gear.. both go up to 120 no?

:)

Andi

1 - 19 of 19 Posts