Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked around and some people say its hard to put 98 turn signals on a 95 bumper. Is it a direct bolt on but just wiring would need to be custom made? or is it the bolt on part that needs some fabrication? has anyone done that here and how much work does it actually take and what fabrication needed ont he 93-96 bumpers to make this happen?

·
Registered
659 Posts
you'd better searching. it has been discussed a lot of times.

anyway you have to drill a hole on each side and wires have to be modded too (hardwiring them to the oem)

·
'95 TT
668 Posts
There is a couple of way you can do this...

1) Get the 98 turns and hardwire them in

2) Get the 98 turns and modify those to fit your old bulbs

When I did mine on my old car, I chose the second route so I didn't have to do the wiring (because i didn't have the harness etc...)

It worked out fine.

As cosmic indicated, you also have to drill a hole in your bumper, but it's easy as pie. You can install them without drilling a hole, but it'll sag down no matter what you try to do to it. But honestly, this install is pretty damn easy. Just get out the drill and go to town, you'll love the lights once they're in.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blizzz said:
There is a couple of way you can do this...

1) Get the 98 turns and hardwire them in

2) Get the 98 turns and modify those to fit your old bulbs

When I did mine on my old car, I chose the second route so I didn't have to do the wiring (because i didn't have the harness etc...)

It worked out fine.

As cosmic indicated, you also have to drill a hole in your bumper, but it's easy as pie. You can install them without drilling a hole, but it'll sag down no matter what you try to do to it. But honestly, this install is pretty damn easy. Just get out the drill and go to town, you'll love the lights once they're in.
ok i suppose i should get the lights first then ill be able to pick a route. so should i get the 98 signals with the light bulb and the connectors or that doesnt really matter?

·
SF's Cleanest
7,179 Posts
if your TT and you have the stock airbox, that side is going to be a BITCH.

get an intake first or you'll have a hard time getting that side installed without drooping.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Im about to do this mod myself. Ive done some searching, and cant find the proper way to wire it in... I do have the wiring harnesses and stuff though. Hopefully doing it sometime this week.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i mean is it REALLY that hard? hmm i guess im gonna have to go ahead and buy a pair and go from there and see how it goes, they are only like $40 on ebay for a pair arent they? doupt that they come with lights or harness or anything...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Its simple as. I've done it on two supras and took about 30 mins each side. Abit of double sided tape stopped mine from sagging aswell so i didnt need to drill a hole in the bumper

·
'95 TT
668 Posts
Well you will need to drill a hole in the bumper unless you remove the bolt that is on the side of the light. It sticks out and has to hit the bumper.

Xenon Supra's response reminded me of another problem. On my old car, the wiring wasn't long enough to reach to the new lights... How? Well, the 93-96 style lights have an L style connector for the bulb. The bend of the L points up which means you need 2 inches less wire to get it there... on the 98 style lights I don't believe that was the case so I needed to add some wire to get it extend it far enough. It was kind of out of the oridinary, I'm not sure if anyone else will run into that problem.

And yeah, if you have an intake it'll be alot easier, that stock airbox takes up alot of room.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
NickT916 said:
i mean is it REALLY that hard? hmm i guess im gonna have to go ahead and buy a pair and go from there and see how it goes, they are only like $40 on ebay for a pair arent they? doupt that they come with lights or harness or anything...

I thought that the Ebay ones were about $40 EACH... I wanted to get some for the GF's MKIV... let me know what ya end up getting them for....

E

·
Registered
9,671 Posts
I did a writeup on this mod. List your e-mail and I will send pics and details to you. There is NO cutting or drilling required unless you want the turns to work as parking lamps also.

Jason

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HotSoup said:
I did a writeup on this mod. List your e-mail and I will send pics and details to you. There is NO cutting or drilling required unless you want the turns to work as parking lamps also.

Jason
please do!!!

[email protected]

appreciate it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Or you can just wire up the turn signal to the foglights and get rid of them. Its real simple and costs nothing.

·
Registered
552 Posts
shupore said:
Or you can just wire up the turn signal to the foglights and get rid of them. Its real simple and costs nothing.
ah yes i remember reading about that somewhere. do you know where there is a write up/pics for that? or could you provide one? thanks.

·
Registered
9,671 Posts
Writeup and Pics sent. If you have any more questions e-mail,PM, or post up here. I actually have more of the aluminum I used, so if you need some just let me know.

Jason

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
HotSoup:

I wired up the turn signals and everything (got a 98 front bumper so it was cake) and I need to wire up the parking lights in the turn signals now. Do I splice into the headlight parking lights? If you have a writeup or pictures on this that would be awesome.

Thanks!

[email protected]

1 - 20 of 37 Posts