Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my first and only supra kill was a few month ago. I was on my way home from work when i spotted an MKIV at the light. I have never raced a super car so I said "why not" , I figured i was gonna get raped but oh well, it would be worth it. I pull up next to him and he gives me a smirk and a rev. Light turns green and both spin halfway through first. By second gear I was up half a car. Then I hit 3rd gear and see him neck and neck with me and pulls pretty hard to get 1/4 car on me. When we hit 4th gear I pulled him by half a car. I think he may have messed up his shifting cause I was sure I wouldnt have pulled on him like I did. By the time I was getting ready to shift to 5th the two laner turned in to one and he had to get behind me. I won that battle by half a car and felt good. I have a 99' Trans am fully stock and he had a MKIV TT fully stock( dont know the year model, cant tell difference yet). Before the bashing begins, let it be known that I myself will trade my car for a supra in an instant. Im looking for one now so dont think im here to bash on supras.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That sounds about right. Good kill. However, I would suggest getting some mods if you wanna race some of the MK4's around Houston....there are some really evil ones around here.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why dont you do some boltons? theyre cheap and you get alot of hp for the $. like a cut out etc.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They come at 305hp from the factory but are underrated for insurance issues. They have more like 325-340 depending on the car. The reason im holding off on going mod crazy is because im looking for a Supra TT and if I end up finding one within the next few months, then I will have just wasted money on the T/A

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some of them are faster than others even if identical model and year. I don't remember all the details but some ended up with the vette camshaft because they ran out of the less aggressive cams originally used. The later model LS1's can be purchased with the LS6 intake which helps a fair bit.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
totally off topic here, but someone here in colorado put down 338 rwhp on a bone stock MKIV TT, SAE corrected, of course.

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
nice kill, but he was probably a bad driver.

Brett

·
Unstable
370 Posts
If you sell the LS1, you will miss it, but you will not be disapointed with the MKIV. :)

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the same delimma as you when buying a LS1. I could not find a Supra in my area for sale and got a LS1. I threw on a few mods and am now very pleased with the results! Am planning on a single turbo in the spring.:)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont know I might end up keeping it after all. Ive heard that after a cpl of mods it really gets interesting. Besides maybe in 07' the new supra will come out??

·
Registered
356 Posts
Since both cars are not being made anymore it will be wise just to hang on to what you have now. If it was me I will keep the T/A & save some money to buy a Supra MKIV.

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
Had to be a bad driver or a NA MKIV with a TT wing... cause other wise I would raise the BS flag. Sorry. But any who, his loss to being crappy driver. So kudos for you.

·
Old School
4,051 Posts
mdcmotorsports said:
Had to be a bad driver or a NA MKIV with a TT wing... cause other wise I would raise the BS flag. Sorry. But any who, his loss to being crappy driver. So kudos for you.
Nonsense. A stock LS1 6 speed is easily as quick as a stock 6 speed Supra.

I'd give the edge to the LS1 on the drag strip bone stock, esp. a lightly optioned Z28 due to weight.

At any rate they are two closely matched cars stock.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mdcmotorsports said:
Gotta go with Lagtime. Between an LS1 and a TT supra, you are talking a race between to mid-low 13 second cars. Its easily believeable. Go learn about your competition... you might learn something.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would also agree they are very close stock. just hope that guy doesn't pull a hose and pull a fuse, then things would be different.

I was in the exact same boat when I bought my 01 TA. I found some Supras, but getting financing on a older model car for $20K+ is tough. Now that i have modded my LS1 i am totally happy. LS1s love mods. A cutout and some spray and you can go looking for BPUs. Not that you will beat them all but they will be more in your range than a stock one.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sweet...I got some support in here. I thought for sure i was gonna get slammed by most supra owners.

·
Registered
927 Posts
mdcmotorsports said:
Yea an NA keeping up with a Trans am like that, you need to do a little bit more homework my friend. But then again the turbo wing is where its all at. :rolleyes:

·
We has your money!
576 Posts
id say hes telling the truth as long as the supra was bone stock too

1 - 20 of 46 Posts