Supra Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I was doing some valve seals. For the first two cylinders I used the rope trick to keep the valves up. Which worked fine. As I went on to the 3rd cylinder I decided to put air to it. As soon as I plugged in the 110psi coolant started coming out of my thermostat housing. So I thought this isn't good. So I take air off of the 3rd and put it on the 4th. Sure enough coolant was bubbling out. Since the engine has 135K on it I decided to rebuild from the bottom up. When everything was out of the car I finally took the head off. To my dismise I found no signs of a BHG. The gasket looked fine between the water jets and the cylinders. All the head bolts were still on there pretty tight and a couple took a little more prying to get off. I have asked Dave (dbsupra) and Mark (bugwugger) and they can't figure out why it blew the coolant out when I only applied 110psi of air to it. Is there a possibility that the head is cracked and screwed? I plan on taking my stuff to a shop in the next couple of days. What all should I get done? I am going to retain the stock pistons if possible and build the head back to spec. I figured get the head lapped, valve guides if needed, 3 angle if needed, new valve seals, new stock springs, MHG. As for the block get the bores honed, rods brought back into spec, crank brought back into spec and top it all off with some ARP's. Please give me any insight you have and let me know if I'm on the right path.

Bobby :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts