Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Supraddict
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT 12/12/2012 - PICTURES - It appears that since this thread was created in 2007, many of the old, original picture links at supras.com, suprasonic.com, and onelapofamerica.com have fallen out of service. I have all of the original pictures saved, and have since uploaded them to my own Flickr page for display. I'll edit/refresh the pictures below.

The full collection, containing sets from the RCTS Supra One Lap efforts circa 1996-2000, as well as detailed pictures of the car itself, can be viewed HERE.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So I was looking at the One Lap of America webiste today, and browsed through the history of previous One Laps. They have entrants lists and photos dating back to the 80's. Of course, being bored at work, I scoured the lists for Supras and came up with this...

In 1994, a Supra Turbo was campaigned by J.M. Crouvisier, Guy Boulanger and Richard LeBlond in the SSGT1 class. They came in 17th place overall out of 69 cars. The following year, the same car was campaigned (21st overall), together with a '95 turbo from Illinois (22nd place)...

23 Roelof Boonstra, Chicago, IL Sports/GT1 1995 Toyota
Sunil Pai, Olympia Fields, IL Supra

And a '93 Turbo from Texas (28th out of 85)...

28 Kent Rhyne, Houston, TX Sports/GTI 1993 Toyota
Bruce Rhyne, Houston, TX Supra Turbo

In 1996, the Rhyne brothers from Texas entered again (55th place), along with Mark Love and Reg Reimer from Alberta, Canada in a '94 Turbo (15th place).

The Rhyne/Reimer teams joined again in '97 (18th and 13th respectively), '98 (48th and 9th respectively), and 1999 the Reimer team achieved 20th place out of 102 finishers, and 4th place in 2000 out of 113 cars! I guess that was their final effort as no Supras entered again until Andi B. in 2002/2003, Marshall Morgan and Greg Caloudas (GSC Motorsports) in 2005 and then the GSC team in 2007.

Does anyone remember any of this? Are these people still active in the community and/or on the forums? Out of all of them, I have only ever heard of Reg Reimer from MKIV.com, but have never heard of them here on SF or ever seen these pics....

1996 One Lap - more pictures HERE.

1997 One Lap - more pictures HERE.

1998 One Lap - more pictures HERE.

1999 One Lap - more pictures HERE.

2000 One Lap - more pictures HERE.

I hope you enjoyed this Supra history lesson, if you have any details of these cars and One Lap efforts please share! That 4th place effort in 2000 is truly amazing, and whats even more amazing is how competitive the MKIV still is as proven lately, even after all these years and advancements in other cars!

·
TX2K7 roadrace champion
1,544 Posts
very cool!

i did look back to see some of the supra entrys... but didnt know those guys ran it that much...

i was told that we were the only supra to ever finish every event.... not a single DNF for any event.. and ive been meening to ask Andi if that was tru... cause i dont think it is.. but not that i see how many times a supra has been run.. i def dont think its tru...

i notice some good tracks in these pics too.. limerock.. road atlanta...

i wish we could get these guys in here.. and hear some of their storys..

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Definitely interesting Supra history, thanks.

Years ago I recall seeing most of those names you posted above, but don't know if any or how many are still around. Of course we know Andi posts here sometimes, even in the recent OLA threads.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Great read. Thanks for the research. I thought I'd add by posing the top 20 competitors in the 2000 One Lap (impressive list of decently priced vehicles; note brian smith and the Viper, 2007 competitor as well):

1 10 Dodge Viper SSGT1 8340
Brian Smith, Spencer Geswein
2 6 Mercedes-Benz RennTech SL600 SSGT1 8150
Dan Kary DO, Paul Gerrard
3 7 Chevrolet Mallett Corvett SSGT1 8025
Jim Minneker, Chuck Mallett
4 18 Toyota Supra Turbo SSGT1 7990
Emmanuel Crouvisier, Reg Riemer
5 17 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 SSGT1 7930
Reed Kryder, John Bender

6 8 Dodge Viper Venom 650 SSGT1 7880
John Hennessey, Sean Roe
7 28 Lingenfelter Corvette SSGT1 7640
Robert Renc, Ron Kline
8 4 Mazda RX-7 SSGT2 7555
Rick Potter, George Samuels
9 14 Porsche 911 Carrera Vint For 7500
Paddi Griffiths, Gary Griffiths
10 25 Pontiac Firebird SSGT2 7460
Dan Corcoran, Marc White

11 5 Cobra Superformance Vint Amer 7420
Doug Reed, David Sugg
12 9 BMW M3 Turbo SSGT1 7395
Steve Dinan, Dan Erwin, Jon Van Woerden
13 54 Mazda RX-7 SSGT2 7200
Gregory Stasiowski, Dale Black
14 13 Ford Mustang SSGT2 7155
Dan Schlickenmeyer, Mike Schlickenmeyer
15 15 BMW 325i MidPri Sed 7080
Nancy Becker, Roy Hopkins

16 19 Dodge Viper SSGT1 7045
Jerry Churchill, Bill Evans, Jr.
17 22 Chevrolet Camaro SS SSGT2 7035
John Berger, Kristian Berger
18 23 BMW M5 Luxury Sed 7020
Tony Swan, Jim McCraw, John Ursone
19 12 Porsche 911 SSGT1 6925
Bruce Harvey, MD, Jim Craig
20 30 Chevrolet Corvette SSGT1 6840
Rob Limbaugh, Paul Seredynski

·
Super Moderator
10,172 Posts
I remember exchanging email with Reg Reimer back in early 2000 talking to him about getting a TechTom ECU for my MK3...
Time flies!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I certainly remember it from the old MKIV mailing list back in 97,98,99 time frame, before these forums were the thing to do. I'd probably still have the e-mails about it, but that mailing list was a 100+ e-mails a day kinda deal.

Fun days back when we were really still just starting to figure out what these cars could do.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I certainly remember it from the old MKIV mailing list back in 97,98,99 time frame, before these forums were the thing to do. I'd probably still have the e-mails about it, but that mailing list was a 100+ e-mails a day kinda deal.

Fun days back when we were really still just starting to figure out what these cars could do.
ha ha, I rememeber that email list too... time does fly!

n

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
very cool!

i did look back to see some of the supra entrys... but didnt know those guys ran it that much...

i was told that we were the only supra to ever finish every event.... not a single DNF for any event.. and ive been meening to ask Andi if that was tru... cause i dont think it is.. but not that i see how many times a supra has been run.. i def dont think its tru...

i notice some good tracks in these pics too.. limerock.. road atlanta...

i wish we could get these guys in here.. and hear some of their storys..

Clint and I never had a DNF either year we did one lap... shit, I even grenaded a motor at Hallett by continuing the session w/ insane EGTs from bad race gas to avoid a DNF.

I haven't talked to Reg in a few years, but Emmanuel Crouvisier is on my myspace.. he just came back to the US after doing some racing in Europe for a few years...

Later,
Andi

·
Vanilla
1,458 Posts
I met Reg and Twingles at the 2000 One Lap in Sebring.

Here's one I took from '98-ish. Was running SCCA events in Florida in either SPO or GT-1 against the tube frame Vettes, Camaros, etc. I think the guy was from the islands and would fly in and run the car.

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
If I am not mistaken Reg still posts on the MKII forum.I haven't been on there in a while, but I am pretty sure he is active there. I wish all the guys were on here, as I'm sure they have more pics and literature than we can find on the web.

Alex

·
Supraddict
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If I am not mistaken Reg still posts on the MKII forum.I haven't been on there in a while, but I am pretty sure he is active there. I wish all the guys were on here, as I'm sure they have more pics and literature than we can find on the web.

Alex
I think he has a mod named after him in the MKIII arena, I have heard a fuel system upgrade for those cars being called the "Reimer" mod so perhaps that is credited to him, if so it sounds like he gets around all generations of Supra quite a lot. Hopefully he'll see this thread and shine some knowledge on us! Cool picture there GVR4kid, from that picture and the One Lap pics I posted above, it looks like Supras were running CCW wheels well before I ever thought they did, esp. the 17/18 inch combo. Interesting stuff, I wouldn't doubt thats where it all started.

·
GSC Power-Division
908 Posts
Cool picture there GVR4kid, from that picture and the One Lap pics I posted above, it looks like Supras were running CCW wheels well before I ever thought they did, esp. the 17/18 inch combo. Interesting stuff, I wouldn't doubt thats where it all started.
I was just thinking the same thing. or at least the fact that 4 supra's that ran one lap all had CCW wheels. I think i got my first 18/17 combo in 00. if i can remember correctly... might have been 01 i can't remember.

·
Vanilla
1,458 Posts
Yeah, back then CCW's came in 2 designs, the classics and this fugly fat 5 spoke that looked more like an old Centerline pie-plate drag wheel.

·
Street Sleeper
1,114 Posts
I think he has a mod named after him in the MKIII arena, I have heard a fuel system upgrade for those cars being called the "Reimer" mod so perhaps that is credited to him, if so it sounds like he gets around all generations of Supra quite a lot.
Reg did as far as I know pioneer the Lexus AFM/550cc injector mod for the 7M GTE engine back in 1994/5. He has one fitted in his 1982 MK2 supra running about 360whp on a TD06-20G.

Here is a link to his MK2 website Reg's 1982 MK2

·
Supraddict
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reg did as far as I know pioneer the Lexus AFM/550cc injector mod for the 7M GTE engine back in 1994/5. He has one fitted in his 1982 MK2 supra running about 360whp on a TDSH06-20G.

Here is a link to his MK2 website Reg's 1982 MK2
Wow, thanks so much for that link. That lead me to here:

http://suprasonic.org/sonic/sonic.htm

I had no idea Reg was the president of Sonic...in fact I haven't really looked into that group in a loooong time, but there are some fantastic photos on that site of both the IS and the Supra from One Lap together with all the background info, from each One Lap experience I posted above with MORE photos....have a look!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Emmanuel was a great driver. They had some severe brake fade issues due to using stainless spacers on the front wheels, and had trouble getting in good laps because of it. I overnighted a set of race pads to them somewhere during the week in an attempt to fix the problem. I had an in-car video of him getting the car seriously sideways on a corner exit at Road Atlanta, and never even lifting while getting the car straight again very quickly. Impressive driving. He went to Europe to race in several open wheel series, but I haven't heard anything about him for a few years.

Eric

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
here's a pic i came across randomly:

1 - 20 of 105 Posts