Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried posting this on the General section but didnt have any luck, so I thought I might try it here. So here it goes.

I have removed the a/c compressor, condenser, drier and lines from my '89T and about to install it on the '90T but got a few questions to you guys.

1. If, I stay with R12 set-up, do I need to get a new drier and o-rings for the fittings?
  2. Since I took the lines and compressor out, does an a/c shop need to put more of that mineral-like oil and put some kind of dye to check for leaks while its installed?
  3. How much does do I expect to pay to have it recharged completely and checking for leaks as well?
  4. After reading the other threads on a/c, I am also contemplating to switch to R134a, so how much would a shop charge to convert my a/c?

Thanks for the advice.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
1. I would switch to R134A as R12 will be alot harder to find and if you do find it will be 10x more expensive.

2. If R12 is used you will need a licensed perfessional to charge/recharge and even install the AC IIRC.

3. I would replace all O-Rings & Drier for the sake that its out and if it was a problem before it won't be now. You can sell the Condensor & Drier that way it helps for a new Condensor & Drier. Also sell the old pump and get a new one to prevent any pump failure if you think you have any.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TaSe said:
1. I would switch to R134A as R12 will be alot harder to find and if you do find it will be 10x more expensive.

2. If R12 is used you will need a licensed perfessional to charge/recharge and even install the AC IIRC.

3. I would replace all O-Rings & Drier for the sake that its out and if it was a problem before it won't be now. You can sell the Condensor & Drier that way it helps for a new Condensor & Drier. Also sell the old pump and get a new one to prevent any pump failure if you think you have any.

I dont know for sure if the condenser, compressor and drier work but since this came from the '89 so I guess I have to wait till its installed.

BTW, are the o-rings the ones that are on the ends of the a/c lines or is it inside them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
id replace the rings if i did but id also get it converted to the new stuff r 12 is aout 70 bux a lb vs the new stuff being i think 13 a pound a

·
Registered
363 Posts
clean out and hook up all the lines yourself with new o rings.
GET A NEW DRIER. you never use an old one.
replace guage connectors for r134a.
get some oil and put it in the low pressure hole (towards the rear of the car I think) on the compressor.
get some guages and use them to put refrigerant in the system.

basically...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts