Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my dad and I both own two cars with different freon types.

My 91 Mr2 and his 91 Integra both have A/C that engages (RPM changes, A/C clutch works, etc) but the air doesn't get cold at all. Both systems are the original R-12 setup. Is there an alternative to "Updating" to the R-134a type?

His '00 Forrester works great, however, yesterday my A/C in my 98 Legacy GT worked great and then slowly faded, in a matter of an hour. :( Wth?! Talk about a leak!

Should I bother re-charging the 134a in the Legacy? Or does that definitely sound like a leak?

Likewise, anyone else ever read/hear of the R-12a alternative freon?

Bah, I just want one of my two POS's to have running A/C... :sadance:

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mifesto said:
well i think u already have the answer to ur question. ur legacy has a bad leak.
Ha, guess what? I went out and looked under the hood of the Legacy today and found a broken A/C Belt! Makes sense, it was blowing nice and cold and then went to hot in minutes after being cold for a while now...

Nonetheless, it looks like I'll have to remove brackets and perhaps the other pulley's in front of it to get a new belt wrapped around or what? Hmm, never done this one before... :ugh2:

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
You can still buy R-12 but you need to get someone with a license for it - same with Freeze-12. but Freeze-12 requires less conversion costs. And R-12 is fucking expensive. If you can get someone with the R-12 license use it. R-134 will never beat r-12 on its costs. I had this link saved from last year I think - http://www.supras.com/pipermail/supras_supras.com/2005-May/010234.html

To switch the Teg over to 134 IIRC is really pretty easy - Its essentially valves and oil. Lucky for you I have the Acura S/B number for it :) S/B-95-008

I would try to get it done with R-12. Make sure you do a leakdown test first too.

But honestly - A/C is for pussies.

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mr. Wob said:
But honestly - A/C is for pussies.

Honestly, I really wouldn't care, except I work at an office and in the people business and I hate being all sweaty going to closings and meeting with attorney's etc.

Otherwise I'm cool. Been without A/C for several years now, never really owned many cars with working A/C...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts