Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey- while doing the FMIC, I too was an idiot and undid the wrong screw, causing the A/C to fully discharge in my face. Anyway, I've searched and because I don't have a repair manual (yet), I don't know where to connect a recharge kit! Does anyone have a picture or a write up that can lead me to it?

Thanks in advance-

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
but wait

if you opened the A/C to the atmosphere a recharge kit will only partly work. Reason is that you MUST pull a vacuum in the A/C system if it was exposed to the air.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
if you dont know where to charge it, that means you dont know anything about a/c systems which means you need to take it to a shop to be evacuated and recharged.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SupraDupaFlyBoy said:
if you dont know where to charge it, that means you dont know anything about a/c systems which means you need to take it to a shop to be evacuated and recharged.
Hey, the whole point was for me to learn. Thanks anyway-

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
not trying to be an asshole, trying to pass the point that a/c is not like a gas tank that you can just fill up and empty at will. wish you the best though!

G

·
It's not a matter of learning, its a matter of equipment AND knowledge. If you don't have the right tool to evacuate the entire system to very low vacuum you will NOT be able to do it right. That's what everyone is trying to tell you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info- I can understand now that it requires special tools. For that reason, I will take it to the Toyota Dealer. maybe. They see a supra and the mechs start drooling. maybe not then. Either way, I appreciate the info as I would have just done the AutoZone fill up kit without knowing.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
gadjetta, that is what we are here for, ask them to wipe the drool stains off BEFORE they return the car to you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not the drool I'm worried about. There is an older guy around where I live with a bone stock 94 TT. He took it to have the oil changed and some other stuff taken care of... well, when I saw the mechanic take his car for the test drive, I had a DP and exhaust, I had to go all out to try and keep up with the guy. Since then, I'm nervous about leaving my car anywhere, so i do most of the work myself.

me and the dealership -> :1poke:

G

·
FWIW I would NOT take my car to any Toyota dealer for A/C work. There's nothing special about our A/C, and places that do JUST that (or that and a couple other things) are better and cheaper than the dealer for that kind of work.

I actually had to get mine recharged 2 months ago because they had to relocate the sight glass when I had my FMIC installed. And I just went to Brakes Plus. Stayed there, took less than an hour, cost about $100. Which is probably way more than I should have paid but I thought they did a decent job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts