Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there is any kind of write up or process of taking the whole a/c system out. I did search, but just found bits and pieces of what to do. Questions like is there anything to leave on, anything to plug up after removing, just anything I need to watch out for??? I pretty much know how to take it all off, just need smaller details on the removal. Thanks

·
MА70>MA71>SC400
792 Posts
Go to a local shop to have them properly release the freon, after thats done, you can start removing the lines that come from the firewall. Remove the 4 bolts that hold the ac compressor to the block, and the 2 lines that go to the compressor. Remove the radiator, unbolt the ac condenser(you will have to unbolt the overflow container to get the condenser off.
That should take care of removing the ac system from the engine compartment.

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
Well first step is just start taking things apart.

I did it when the motor was OUT of the car. I could not imagine doing it with the motor/ coolant system (moreso the radiator) still in the car.

Took like 2 hours of tearing, ripping, sawing, unbolting..... But well worth it. I had a PILE of A/C parts in the back of the truck that night. Probably in the vicinity of 20lbs worth.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a JDM 7m that the previous owner had swapped in and they said the ac didnt work, but everything accept the condenser is still in there. What about all the wiring? How can I remove all that and know what to remove; look on the tsrm? I just want to remove EVERYTHING that I could dealing with the ac.

·
Registered
288 Posts
AGlobalThreat said:
Removing the AC is very straight forward, just be sure to get someone TRIANED to release the freon, then start removing.
Actually, you are supposed to have the system evacuated by a recycle machine so nothing gets "released" . You should be able to find someone that will do that for free, just let them have the freon, assuming it isn't Freeze12 or something else wierd in there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
is it possible to remove the whole cooling unit without affecting heater/window defroster?
i know that box ways a whole lot, just dont know if its safe to do.

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
cutting? ugh. everything will just unbolt. the only things left in my car related to A/C are the button on the climate control unit, and a few wires which i have since hidden in the fenderwells... nothing else.

i also removed the evaporator (in the dash near the heater core). i plugged up the holes with some fiberglass, and have no issues what-so-ever.

-shaeff

·
Registered
288 Posts
The box has to stay, but the core can come out. Only saves you a 1lb or so of weight. The only downside is defrost. The AC runs for defrost to remove moisture, even when heat is on. I like that and on rainy days, it is real nice to be able to see....

Marty

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
well yeah, the box is the ductwork for the air to move through. i was just saying i removed the evaporator, which is in the box, and sealed the holes with fiberglass. the core weighs more than 1lb.

also, i don't drive my car in the rain, so defrosting isn't really an issue for me.

-shaeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts