Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys......

Money isn't a prob....

I want to know everyones opinion on a system....

has to be THE BEST.....

But without the troubles of hard to find brands....

So easy to purchase stuff, and what box style?

This is to represent a Mobile DJ business that has CONCERT sized systems so I know speakers, and want lots of power but with the BEST SQ possible, I want the car to be noticed because of install quality and volume!

Every idea welcome....

This is going into a MK4 with the spare still in but the back seat out and can take up as much room as possible....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'd have to say for the mids get the some sort of Focal three way systems for the fronts. Get the Utopia series. These speakers sound damn good and handle loads of power. Just ask Mr. Kenyon. On amps I think the obvious choise is PPI Powerclass, unless somebody knows of some amps with better specs. Now on the head unit it depends if you want video or not? If you do get the Alpine CVA1005? i think, its jsut a screen, and then get the alpine in dash dvd/cd player. Now subs I don't really know much about, I've heard the Eclipse Titaniums are really good for SQ, plus they look really cool. But i've never actually heard them. And box design i'd leave that to the professionals, i'm pretty sure that most SQ guys go with sealed but I've heard of a few ported boxes. NO BANDPASS! Anyone else know anything better than the stuff I've listed?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Money aint a thing huh.

Subs. I have to say JL W7's, Eclipse titaniums, MMAT Juggernauts, Memphis, Would say Audiobahn's 34" beast but that thing is out of the question if it's going into a supra. Massive Audio CW12, Earthquake magma 12, Kicker, Boston Acoustic Competitor.

Components: Focals Utopia, MB Quartz Q series, Boston Acoustics Pros, Crystal,

Amps: Phoenix Gold, MMATS, MA Audio (4,000 REAL watt amp), PPI,ORION,Earthquake, McIntosh, Xtant

Receiver: Alpine CVA-1000+NVA-N751AS, Nakamichi CD-700, Pioneer (Premier) ODR-RSD2,Eclipse, Alpine CVA-1005.

If it were up to me, given all the money I needed to build a system. I seriously think I could make a car explode. With 5,000$ in my MKIII I took first or second in all competitions I attended. SQ and SPL. Shattered my hatch window once and even cracked my windshield. Beat out the MB Quartz sponsored Lexus in SQ. if you know what your doing it does not take that much money to get a system right.

·
Cool as Ice
274 Posts
Amps-Mcintosh, Xtant, or the new tube driven amps lots of companies are starting to go tube again FINALLY.

Mids- Rainbow audio ($7,000.00 6.5", 1" tweeter), MB Quart Q, or JL XR.

Subs-Alumapro alchemy, Eclipse aluminum cone ( not titanium they don't sound good), W7!!!

HU- Alpine CVA-1005 + cda-5755. Or newer model screen.

You've got a hatchback, put the subs there, move the spare to the middle of the car if you have too. nothing will sound as good as a sealed in the hatch. You could try with a Ported bandpass encoluse in the rear seat area, but you'd have to be a damn good tuner.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rainbow makes some disgustingly expensive stuff. For the amount of money it costs their is something that is less than 1/4 of the price and sounds just as good I guarantee it. but since money is not an issue Rainbow is not a problem.

The Eclipse titaniums do sound good given the proper amount of air and power. I have seen the aluminum cone one fry, they cannot take it like the titaniums. The titaniums do tend to distort more but that is because a lack of power.

·
Cool as Ice
274 Posts
I like my music at a reasonable volume, so the TITANIUMS are the wrong choice in my application, believe me I wanted them, they were my first choise. They don't seem to respond well to low volume SQ application whereas the Alums excell there. For this guys app. the W7 or the Tiatanium would probly be great.

The only reason to have Rainbow equipment is to be able to say "I spend seven thousand dollars on speakers, but hey, they came with a crazy carrying case"

·
805 Posts
Well, I would just go to my car audio guy at Radio Shack....He knows everything and has it all in stock.
Yeagy

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The $7k speakers are overkill.
I am a very good tuner and will be installing some DJ type processors in with the system so I will have an advantage over others that only have an EQ and bass boost.

I will have a comp/limiter/expander/gate unit and also a BBE Sonic Maximizer( 362/SW for those who know) also gonna put in a full 2 way 24db/octave variable x-over.

Amplifiers will be displayed and I really like the Pheonix amps because of the BRIGHT blue LED.

Would JBL GTi speakers be good for such a small car, or is that too much SPL. I want this system to look better than anything in F&F, and to be louder than most, with the best quality at those high levels.

Any ideas on where to put my sound-active neon and strobes?

Anywhere that won't interfere with driving though...

What kinda materials look the best as boxes, especialy ones with curves and not so square shapes.

Brands that I want to work with speaker wise are....

JBL
Rockford Fosgate
Pioneer( I only buy their brand of DJ Audio Equip. )

Any ideas on what could be done to make this not only unique but very familiar to a DJ system.

Thanks in advance for any help!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, now im confused? You said money wasn't an issue yet you choose to go with brands like JBL, R.F, and Pioneer?????

They may be good for Dj equipment but you're in a whole different ballgame when it comes to car audio.

JBL is aight. I wouldn't buy it.

Rockford Fosgate is crap, I wouldn't take it if it was given to me. (seriously)

Pioneer is decent they make some good stuff, but I would only get equipment from their Premier line.

If you want to be serious about this and impress people with your system, I recommend going with some of the brands we recommended.

Honestly, if I saw you roll up in a Supra at a sound competiton representing your DJ company or club, with a Supra full of Best Buy car stereo equipment I would laugh at you. You want the car to stand out it definately wont do that if the kid next door has the same amps and subs in his 87 Civic that you do in your "Decked Out" Supra. Feel me?? BTW, this isnt a flame towards you in any way. It is simply my opinion. Take it as you will.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fair enough....

I guess the DJ to car audio comparison is fair.

So what brands do you recommend to get peoples jaws dropping and going "DUDE, check out the PowerSound car over there, earthquake maker man!" lol

I just wanna impress!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check out my previous post or Showoff's post. Those are IMO some of the best brands in car audio. For show and sound. Now are you going for SPL or SQ?

·
Cool as Ice
274 Posts
As a DJ and a tuner I'm sure you like good-EXCELLENT sound quality (SQ) the GTi subs are designed for one purpose, and one purpose only HIT VERY VERY HARD. They are an SPL sub. You said you want it to pound, and you want it tuned well. I'm sure Tito *and most here* would agree that the new JL w7 is gonna be LOUD as hell and still give you the SQ nessecary to actually promote the music and not just shake stuff.

Stay away from Rockford. I don't like pioneer because they aren't as easy to use as Alpine. And I agree with Tito, JBL is ok, but wouldn't buy it.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Showoff, have you seen the W7's? Those things are insane!! The ten inch sub weighs something like 40lbs! Unbeleivable. They are still a little high in price though. I think im gonna get a pair of ten's when they come down.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've seen the W7's online, but not in person. Do they look that good in person? Anyone know the THD for those subs. What kinda freq. response for the 12's and How many is enough for SQ and a little SPL. I know that there are speakers that are capable of both, I have some concert speakers that can do 145 SPL and still sound good at 150 yds. ( Outdoor concerts only for those bad boys! ) The subs are the same ones that Universal Studios Florida uses for its outdoor shows ( Anyone know how I can put a driver from www.servodrive.com in my car. Look in the Contrabass section to see a pic of the driver. One of those equals almost 2 full double 18" DJ subs with only 400 watts RMS. AMAZING EFFECIENCY )

Those brands are wonderful. Which speakers of those have comparable looks to the W7. I Like the metal cones and the less logos on them the better.

You guys are great help!

·
Cool as Ice
274 Posts
Metal cone subs don't do as well with SPL. The W7 doesn't come in a 10" and I don't think it will. As of now it comes only in a 13 ( or 13.5) Two of thoose with enough power will be more than you'd ever need in a supra.

I forgott about this when talking about component speakers- Focal Utopia. Hands down my favorite speakers.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went to a JL supplier and they said that they are coming in ten inch?

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
Personally, here would be my choices:

Head unit: Pioneer AVX-7300DVD (indash 7" widescreen LCD with DVD player) w/ AVM-P9000R hideaway proccessor

( if you ae going to compete, you can ONLY use EQ/amps, etc that run off of 12V, not a DC-AC converter. it has to have the 12V circuitry and everythign or else you probably wont be able to compete)

EQ: Pheonix Gold Titanium DEQ (laptop programmable, 4 preset (User, SPL, RTA, SQ) 30 band EQ with adjustable Q for every point)

Amps: PG ZX600Ti (600x1 4ohm mono for subs), ZX475Ti (75x4 4ohm for front stage)

Power Distribution: PG Titanium DD10, PG ZEROPoint Distro blocks and wiring, PG SDT Kit for monitoring voltage, etc at the amps. PG Titanium Powercore 15 Farad Capacitor

Front Stage: if you want speakers, go with Focal Utopia 3ways. If you want horns, go with Image Dynamics HLCD Horns and matching 8" midbass.

Subs: Personally, I would go with 3 brand new Image Dynamics IDMAX in 12" form, in a ported box, tuned to around 35 Hz

As for the installation, do it with fiberglass panels painted to either match your car, or contrast with it (ie, black supra, white panels, blue neon to match blue LEDs in PG amps), using blue neon to accent the amps, subs, etc. I would mount the amps on 3/4" clear plexiglass, backlit with blue neon, and have 3/4" plexiglass grills for the subs, also lit with neon. put the 3 subs in the back (either 3 across, or in a triangle formation, with a common port the the center of the 3), facing up, with a plexi grill lasercut with your businesses name and/or logo

All together, it would depend on who you have install it (or if you do it yourself) for how it costs. if you have money to burn, the shop with likely charge you more in labor than you pay for the equipment, and its not uncommon for a national level competition car to cost upwards of $20,000 (not including the car of course)

·
651 Posts
Most definitely JL is making a W7 in the 10" size.

I have eight that are supposed to be here Wednesday.

Too bad every single W7 that is to arrive next week is already sold.

I guess that's not too much of a "bad thing". $$$$$$

Thomas Kenyon

1 - 20 of 29 Posts