Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to start, ive done research and im not an idiot.
i put together a kit for my 92 celica with a ct-26 2 years ago and i have had zero problems. i know what needs to be done and i know what i doing, but id like a few things cleared up. i read the 1/2 na-t threads and was confused by a few things. any help is appreaciated.

Originally Posted by drjonez
here's some fact:

-ALL turbo cars have a resistor pack.
-ALL <'88 NA cars have a resistor pack.
-ALL '89+ NA cars DO NOT have a resistor pack (high imp. inj.).
-ALL resistor packs are the same.
is this information correct?
assuming it is, then the i can use my 440's i have from an 87-T on my 87-NA with no resistor pack, correct?

and what is the difference between the na and turbo FPR? is the turbo one rising rate? i have both, but i want to make sure there is in fact a difference before i install the one from the T.

does anyone have install information on the btm? and do we need the tach adapter (p/n: msd-8910 eis i think...i needed it for my celica).

are the turbo plugs colder than the na ones?

thats it for now. im sure ill think of more as i go along.
thanks a lot.
Todd

· Registered
129 Posts
I have run the BTM before. For wiring info go to the MSD tech forum under install help. Search the same user name that I have here and you should find my post asking how to hook it up to the NA electronics.

If you can't find it I will try to. Its not too hard.

· Banned
1,565 Posts
Your going to want to upgrade to an AFPR. The turbo FPR off an 87 had no difference from my n/a fpr. The 89+ turbo FPR were slightly different I believe, but I suggest you go with an aftermarket AFPR. And yes, 440s from an 87T will work just fine on your n/a 87. I also suggest you run turbo plugs. If you have any more questions, pm me. I've been to hell and back with the 1/2 na-t.

na-t Dave

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i cant afford an afpr, or an safc.
i bought the car for $200 and im doing this on a tight budget, kind of.
i know how im pulling this off is less than perfect (very less).
i dont want to sound stupid, because i do know better, but how would it run if i just put the 440s on?
i put an aeromotive fpr on the celica and the regulator + hoses/fittings ran me close to 300...i ran it for 6 months with just 315's until i bought the FPR and it was (still is) very reliable and ran great.

i know youre thinking 'recipe for disaster' but people said the same about my celica....its been 2 years and i havent done anything but regular maintainance and it runs great.

and if i blow the new head gasket on the supra, i can change it in an afternoon, so that isnt a concern.

thanks for the patience.

· Registered
3,965 Posts
the FPR are different part numbers from toyota for GE to GTE, so I'd go with the turbo one to be safe...

· Dr. Jeff Lange
8,964 Posts
There are 3 part numbers for FPR's in the Supra.

86.5-87 N/A and Turbo are the same
88 N/A and Turbo are the same
89-92 Turbo is the same as the 88 N/A and Turbo
89-92 N/A is different

Not sure what makes the 89-92 N/A different, but regardless, especially if you have a pre-89 N/A, the FPR is the same as the turbo.

· Can't wait for Spring!
2,329 Posts
Damnit Jeff.. you beat me...

he's correct about those FPR's...

I would DEFINATELY go with an aftermarket FPR. I've gone through three toyota ones now, and i don't know what it is, but either they keep crapping out, or each of them only works up to a certain point / age.

Just running 440's, stock FPR, no safc -- You'll run rich under boost until about 8-9psi... roughly... each car is different, a lot depends on how much you mess with the AFM

I'm at a point right now, where my FPR is the weak point in my fuel system, and i seriously have to break down and buy one. After about 20 boost leaks when i upped it to 15psi, i replaced my FP with a walbro, had to loosen the hell outta my AFM, and i'm currently MAXED out on my SAFC... +50% all across the high throttle map... The only way it runs decent under boost now, is if i habitually reset my TCCS...

Umm... i have some more information posted on my personal website, along with an assload of pictures, and stuff...

http://www.supertroopersunt.com/jong/supra.html <-- there are links along the left margin

EDIT: Oh.. almost forgot... be prepared to do a head gasket at any given point during this adventure... I got EXTREMELY lucky.. and mine didn't blow until 12psi... all it took was one little lean-hiccup... "BAM... thats all she fregin' wrote"

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks.
yea, i read your site while i was researching jong.
and im prepared for the head gasket. i just replaced it with a stocker and arp studs about 1000 miles ago (didnt know i was going to be turboing or i wouldve gone MHG).
im going to retorque them before i put the turbo on of course.

ill be keeping an eye on boost, egt, and oil temp via stewart warner gauges.

i think itll be good, for a while at least.
meh, well see.
thanks a lot.

oh, jong: did you just run the turbo plugs at stock gap?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.