Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got home from a few back to back roadtrips (2,500 miles) and I think my HG is finally gone. I'm getting mysterious coolant disappearance, funky coolant smell and running hot temps after I've been driving 2+ hours. Apparently 9 months of 20psi daily on a cheap eBay HG is just too much. I'm going to try to throw an OE stocker on to see if it's the cheap HG or the 20psi :)

Anyway, while I was out and about I had a few races (no slips). First race was a WRX STi with a cat-back. Of course he got me out of the hole but once I grabbed traction I reeled him pretty quick. We raced again but this time he missed a shift and fell back very quick. My third race was against a Neon SRT4 w/ NOS, stage 1 turbo upgrade, intake/exhaust, slicks, etc. He got me out of the hole (damn light cars) by 4 car lengths. 2nd gear I gained no ground but once I hit 3rd I started reeling him in. By the top of my 3rd he had to shift and that was all I needed to put half a car length on him by the end of the 1/4.

I've put a lot of miles on the Tein Flex by now and I'm really starting to enjoy them. At the races I put the front on full soft and the rear on full firm and the car launched much better. On the highway I had all 4 corners on full soft and it rides very comfortably, no aches or pains at the end of a 8 hour drive. I accidently left it on full firm and after 4 hours I was hurting.

Anyway, enough ramblings for tonight...

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
Why not a MHG?

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
I'm dealing with the after effects of a BHG myself. (The repairs got me home, but they are showing up now as little gremlins like the car not running, and only having 120psi of compression across all 6, I think due to a mis-matched camshaft, or jumped belt? Not sure, still taking stuff off to check.)
Go with a MHG, don't even screw with the stock designs, they don't hold up to boost much over 20psi. (Mine failed while I was playing around at 24psi.)
I'm thinking it is time to do the build up motor I've been planning all year.
Good luck on your HG.
Still using the Eman? I liked mine while the car was running... LOL

L

·
0 Posts
Lmao one of our best board members was running on a hope-and-a-prayer of a HG...hillarious!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Quite frankly I am totally impressed. I didn't think anyone was running 20 psi through a stock HG, an ebay one at that!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
lancefloyd said:
Lmao one of our best board members was running on a hope-and-a-prayer of a HG...hillarious!
:wtf: Maybe he knows what he is doing...

Besides that... the redesigned stocker will hold 20 psi all day long. I for one am glad that someone knowledgable realizes the stock HG is not as big a POS as every claims.

Awesome as always Alan

·
fbody to supra to fbody
2,015 Posts
yea i'd put money on the fact that bish knows wtf he's doing, and that he'll be back up in no time, 20psi daily, etc. :D

-J

3,796 Posts
Hey, if ya need a brand new stocker I got one I'll sell to ya cheap!! And good kills (sorry to hear about the BHG :( )

·
Super Moderator
10,138 Posts
Nice kills, and great to hear some real feedback about these mythically wonderful coilovers. :)

I've been running ~15 psi on my redesigned OE headgasket I installed over spring break this year with some ARP studs. Its holding fine.

·
Slowly but Surely
1,438 Posts
Yea, I for one trust Bishop as he has been through decades of supras and knows what he is doin. IIRC, Drjonez had stated that the stock head gasket is not crap but if tuned properly, it should prove itself.

Neal

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Bishop, was this racing street racing or at a track? What are your 1/4 mile times?

·
AKA Muddy
737 Posts
Bishop92T said:
At the races I put the front on full soft and the rear on full firm and the car launched much better.
I know little about drag racing, but I thought it was the other way around. Don't you want to make the rear soft to help the weight transfer to the rear to improve traction?

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
No you want your front soft for weight transfer, and your rear firm so your camber doesn't change too much when the car squats. Resulting in more tire making contact with the road, instead of only the inside edges of the tire making contact.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm betting on that cheap ebay gasket being the fault. Long story I was pressed for time and I had a choice b/w ebay gasket and my old stock gasket (which wasn't blown). A friend of mine used the other gaskets that came with that kit and has already blown both exhaust manifold gaskets. We'll see if the OE gasket will hold up to the abuse, if not it'll be MHG time. Oh, I was also running stock reused headbolts torqued to 70ft/lbs. I'll be switching to ARP's...

MRSUPRA this was racing on private property, neither illegal drags or an official 1/4 mile. The track length from start to finish was a bit over 1/4 mile.

autoXr you do want weight transfer but the Supra suspension design makes it undesireable to squat the rear to achieve the transfer. Supra has unequal length double wishbone suspension, when it squats the camber goes negative.

·
AKA Muddy
737 Posts
One cause of a BHG is knocking or pinging. Proper tuning will protect the engine from that. The amount of boost one runs does not cause a HG to blow, but rather the consequences of running too much boost without enough fuel, running too lean and pinging.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Bishop-
Welcome back, sounds like you had a great road trip.
Did not see any posts from you and wondered why the absence now I know.
Keep us posted as to your decisions with the gasket and general engine progress. It will be very informative.

thanks
Steve

1 - 19 of 19 Posts