Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

It's time for me to go single :)

My demands are that it must be streetable and quick spooling. And of course, lots and lots of RWHP :D

I'm going to buy a bodykit and Gauges, BCC, EBC, DP, Exhaust, BOV etc etc...
So I don't have so much money left over for now :sad:

Is the Greddy T78 a good way to go?

What exactly is it I REALLY need for everything to work, again as cheap as possible. I will upgrade with fuel later on...

Clutch and FMIC I know but how about VPC and stuff like that?

Please try and help since I'm a total beginner at this :)

Thanx in advance for your time...

Slowpoke...
 

·
Supra OG
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
Slowpoke said:
Hi guys,

It's time for me to go single :)

My demands are that it must be streetable and quick spooling. And of course, lots and lots of RWHP :D

I'm going to buy a bodykit and Gauges, BCC, EBC, DP, Exhaust, BOV etc etc...
So I don't have so much money left over for now :sad:

Is the Greddy T78 a good way to go?

What exactly is it I REALLY need for everything to work, again as cheap as possible. I will upgrade with fuel later on...

Clutch and FMIC I know but how about VPC and stuff like that?

Please try and help since I'm a total beginner at this :)

Thanx in advance for your time...

Slowpoke...
1) Scrap the bodykit idea... this saves you cash and keeps you car from looking gay.

2) Don't put off the fuel system. Many have, and many of those have had to spend way more to buy a new motor later on. Get a real fuel system IMHO.

3) Add to the mix... boost controller (EVC EZ or DSBC), VPC, GCC or SFC-R, BCC (optional), BOV(s), cams (optional), FMIC, 6-puck clutch and a new stock flywheel, better suspension (Eibach/KYB at a minimum), more traction (wheels/tires/etc), etc....

4) Add whatever I'm forgetting to mention...

Andi
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm with Andi, forget the body kit idea. The T78 has an attractive price.. but if you can find $2k more [again, lose bodykit?], I say go with the Powerhouse Racing Stage II. Its ideal for the street, yet still offers amazing power at high rpm's. Spools even to BPU. Here is a dyno graph [PHR-blue,BPU Supra-red]




With the big Greddy turbos you're going to be powerless until 4k RPM, but they can be tuned to 800rwhp+.

But again, it all depends on what you want. Honestly I think a PHR turbo has a big advantage because of the power curve.
 

·
boost is good
Joined
·
772 Posts
shervin said:
With the big Greddy turbos you're going to be powerless until 4k RPM, but they can be tuned to 800rwhp+.

But again, it all depends on what you want. Honestly I think a PHR turbo has a big advantage because of the power curve.
when you race someone, who keeps the revs under 4k anyways? except from a stop, which i will say the lag kinda sucks if you dont slip the clutch hard, but from a roll the t78 spools fast as hell and im only at 16psi lol. (just putting in my pitch for the greddy turbos:))
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gritsak said:


when you race someone, who keeps the revs under 4k anyways? except from a stop, which i will say the lag kinda sucks if you dont slip the clutch hard, but from a roll the t78 spools fast as hell and im only at 16psi lol. (just putting in my pitch for the greddy turbos:))
Well, he said he wanted one that spools fast and streetable, so I assume he'll be driving this car everyday. Also, if he'll be doing 1/4 mile drags, that lack of power before hitting 4k can add a few tenths. A smooth powerband is .one. of the reasons an NA V8 can make less power and run a faster 1/4 mile. but from a roll its another story :)

The greddy turbos are a good value and you can tune insane amounts of HP out of them, its all up to what you need tho.. how much you race, what type of racing, etc..
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slowpoke said:


My demands are that it must be streetable and quick spooling. And of course, lots and lots of RWHP :D


Slowpoke...
You want to eat your cake and have it too... you cant have a fast spooling turbo and lots and lots of top end power... you have to make a choice. Lag is over rated and is not a concern unless you are a SERIOUS road racer, you can drive around it.

Listen to Andi.... you NEED a fuel system, dont skimp-out on getting cheap crap parts.

take care,
nils
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: A few Single Turbo questions...

Andi said:


1) Scrap the bodykit idea... this saves you cash and keeps you car from looking gay.

2) Don't put off the fuel system. Many have, and many of those have had to spend way more to buy a new motor later on. Get a real fuel system IMHO.

3) Add to the mix... boost controller (EVC EZ or DSBC), VPC, GCC or SFC-R, BCC (optional), BOV(s), cams (optional), FMIC, 6-puck clutch and a new stock flywheel, better suspension (Eibach/KYB at a minimum), more traction (wheels/tires/etc), etc....

4) Add whatever I'm forgetting to mention...

Andi
How can a nice bodykit look gay on a Supra :eek:

OK, I will seriously look in to fuel...

I have most of that except clutch, FMIC and VPC. What do you recommend?

PS. Love your site Andi!
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gritsak said:


when you race someone, who keeps the revs under 4k anyways? except from a stop, which i will say the lag kinda sucks if you dont slip the clutch hard, but from a roll the t78 spools fast as hell and im only at 16psi lol. (just putting in my pitch for the greddy turbos:))
OK, but how is it when just cruising in town. I mean, you can't race all the time can you :D :D :D
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
shervin said:


Well, he said he wanted one that spools fast and streetable, so I assume he'll be driving this car everyday. Also, if he'll be doing 1/4 mile drags, that lack of power before hitting 4k can add a few tenths. A smooth powerband is .one. of the reasons an NA V8 can make less power and run a faster 1/4 mile. but from a roll its another story :)

The greddy turbos are a good value and you can tune insane amounts of HP out of them, its all up to what you need tho.. how much you race, what type of racing, etc..
I want power but not superduper much power. I'm willijng to sacrifise a bit power for everyday driveability...

Do you still recommend the T78? It has a real good price...

Thanx!
 

·
boost is good
Joined
·
772 Posts
Slowpoke said:


OK, but how is it when just cruising in town. I mean, you can't race all the time can you :D :D :D
cruising around town is fine as well. although racing all the time would be kool with me:) like nils said above lag is TOTALLY OVERRATED. t78 is great for driving around town and racing. ill prolly step up to a t88 eventually becuase ive heard the tradeoff for a tiny bit more lag makes up with the hp gain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,022 Posts
A FMIC is not a must with a single turbo, it certainly helps a lot but is probably not more important than fuel. VPC is not a must either, small singles can run on the stock MAF (they won't make as much power) or you can do a dual MAF setup. Or wait for the AEM ECU. If you get a VPC you will most definitely need some sort of fuel controller. If you run the stock MAF w/o one, it will run pig rich, and won't meter above ~500rwhp.
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about a SP57? Spools quick and some say you don't need fuel. If you’re going to be spending lots of time at the track go with something bigger:)

As for the body kit, its defiantly preference??? But for the most part it seems that the younger people like the body kit look? As you get older the preference goes to the stock look. Some even take the stock spoiler off.... I'm not saying this is 100% true but for the most part it's what I have seen.
 

·
Supra OG
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
Re: Re: Re: A few Single Turbo questions...

Slowpoke said:


How can a nice bodykit look gay on a Supra :eek:

I have seen VERY few bodykits that I like more than Toyota's own lines.. And you couldn't pay me enough to put, say, a Veilside kit on my car (Sorry to those I'm offending, just MHO...)

OK, I will seriously look in to fuel...

I have most of that except clutch, FMIC and VPC. What do you recommend?

PS. Love your site Andi!
Clutch.... for a single.. RPS Stage 3 if it's for the street, AZ clutch if you will drag race. FMIC, Greddy for Single Turbo (the "3-row" not the 4-row). VPC and a Fields SFC-R.

Thanks for the compliment.

Andi
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,144 Posts
What's the advantage of the 3 row over the 4 row in singles case? Just curious because I'll have to upgrade my small Apexi FMIC intercooler soon. Thanks

Eric
 

·
Supra OG
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
cowboy bebop said:
What's the advantage of the 3 row over the 4 row in singles case? Just curious because I'll have to upgrade my small Apexi FMIC intercooler soon. Thanks

Eric
The 3-row is already ridiculously good as an IC. Any bigger is just a waste... IMHO. And bigger = more restriction for your radiator.

Andi
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Grant said:
A FMIC is not a must with a single turbo, it certainly helps a lot but is probably not more important than fuel. VPC is not a must either, small singles can run on the stock MAF (they won't make as much power) or you can do a dual MAF setup. Or wait for the AEM ECU. If you get a VPC you will most definitely need some sort of fuel controller. If you run the stock MAF w/o one, it will run pig rich, and won't meter above ~500rwhp.
o basically, you're telling me to just smack on a T78/88 kit and enjoy 500rwhp without ANY other mod?!?!?!

Sounds to god to be true man..

Please explain...

:D
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Re: Re: Re: A few Single Turbo questions...

Andi said:


I have seen VERY few bodykits that I like more than Toyota's own lines.. And you couldn't pay me enough to put, say, a Veilside kit on my car (Sorry to those I'm offending, just MHO...)



Clutch.... for a single.. RPS Stage 3 if it's for the street, AZ clutch if you will drag race. FMIC, Greddy for Single Turbo (the "3-row" not the 4-row). VPC and a Fields SFC-R.

Thanks for the compliment.

Andi


OK, if there is on
e thing people an't argue about it's taste :D

I still love your car though... He he...

I've allready made up ,my mind about the RPS clutch, when I'm buying...

Thanx again Andi!
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top