Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
TT This
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow NA's and T's...

First off it cost less than 30 bucks. Not counting the K&N...

Radiator plate. A couple easy bends and alittle fitting with aluminum sheet metal and polish it up.

The intake I made from 4.5 inch diameter aluminum tubing off ebay for 15 bucks,and the good old sewer pipe connector from Home Depot,
and K&N from Horsepowerfreaks.

Before

After

A shot of the intake

yes I'm crazy and removed the manual latch on the hood. I've never ever had a hood fly up on me to the point that the manual latch saved my ass. I always, always make sure the hood is closed and latched tight.

do you like :biggrin: ?

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
nice dude... i wish my intake was that pretty... i have the stock black piping because im not na-t... so ugly

·
11,221 Posts
NinetyFiveNA said:
I always, always make sure the hood is closed and latched tight.

do you like :biggrin: ?

Hehe, it was funny. I work on my car a lot at night, so I leave the hood open so I won't have to go into the cockpit to open the hood everytime. Well one day I was out and was like "wtf is my hood rattling". I was making like 120mph pulls and was like "wtf", lol. I pulled onto the side and realized my hood is not locked. My ass would have been raped if that latch wasn't there.

Anyways, who made that fmic cooling plate for you? How did you bend that shit and whatnots? I made my own too, but it was a 2 piece (radiator show plate & fmic cooling plate).

·
TT This
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made the plate completely from card board first. Then took the template of the plate and transfered it to the aluminum, cut it out and sandwiched it between some 2x10 studs I had laying around. And used brute force to bend the aluminum by hand using the 2x10's as a straight edge to keep the bends straight. Strong hands, 10 minutes, and every four letter word and I had all the bends done.
I glad you guys like it :)

·
11,221 Posts
Glad your shit came out in one try (or I think). I made mine using a cardboard too, lol. It took me 2 days to go back and forth from the shop to recut and try to fit on the car and shit.

·
Hardtopper
13,044 Posts
Did you get the Aluminum from home depot also? I might aswell do something while im doing nothing... my engine bay is bare right now.. waiting on few little parts to come in before putting it back together

·
TT This
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kirkMKIV said:
Did you get the Aluminum from home depot also? I might aswell do something while im doing nothing... my engine bay is bare right now.. waiting on few little parts to come in before putting it back together
Actually the Home Depot by me doesn't carry Aluminum sheeting. I found some at Fleet Farm :biggrin:

·
NA-T member
455 Posts
The metal work looks really good!!!
Your engine looks HOT!!

I got a veilside hood and theres no hand latch on it. I did drive with only one of the hood latchs attached and at about 45 mph it fell up. Got to love fiberglass cause it bent like a piece of cloth. Took it home refiberglassed the broken supports and good as new.

Just make sure both are attached, they can hold anything but with only one you get laterall pull which it wont stop.

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,286 Posts
NinetyFiveNA said:
I made the plate completely from card board first. Then took the template of the plate and transfered it to the aluminum, cut it out and sandwiched it between some 2x10 studs I had laying around. And used brute force to bend the aluminum by hand using the 2x10's as a straight edge to keep the bends straight. Strong hands, 10 minutes, and every four letter word and I had all the bends done.
I glad you guys like it :)
how'd you cut around the hood catches so cleanly? it looks as though they were stamped out...

looks very good :bigthumb:

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Looks great....I made a custom box from some sheet metal from Home Depot, but yeah they don't carry aluminum, so what is the Fleet Farm? any other place I can find some?...
Also, I haven't looked under the hood lately but would it be possible to make a cut out for the hood latch so that you can still use it?

·
TT This
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BlackSupra93 said:
how'd you cut around the hood catches so cleanly? it looks as though they were stamped out...

looks very good :bigthumb:
Careful dremel work and a round metal file to round off the corners, and a straight metal file to clean up the straight cuts.

·
TT This
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
supraman78 said:
Looks great....I made a custom box from some sheet metal from Home Depot, but yeah they don't carry aluminum, so what is the Fleet Farm? any other place I can find some?...
Also, I haven't looked under the hood lately but would it be possible to make a cut out for the hood latch so that you can still use it?

Fleet Farm? hmm well perhaps it's a Minneeesota thing. We have em all over the place. It's kinda like a Home Depot,Tractor Supply store, and walmart all wrapped up into one. I can find anything I'd ever need in it.

I could've cut out a hole for the latch no problem. But the handle for that latch goes lower than the plate when the hood shuts. So the cut out would've had to be pretty big to allow the little handle to close past the plate. So I decided to get rid of it instead and the over all look is alot cleaner I think.

I already have a PM asking me to make another one for a member, perhaps I should go into production :bigthumb:

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
NinetyFiveNA said:
I already have a PM asking me to make another one for a member, perhaps I should go into production :bigthumb:
What would your asking price be?

·
TT This
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jeremyhelling said:
What would your asking price be?
:biggrin: :biggrin:

It took me pretty much all of Saturday to come up with a design, make the template from poster board, and to cut out the metal and finish it off completely.

I've started another for the SF member that PM'd me already, to see how the duplication proccess goes. It should go smoother and all since I don't have to do any thinking now :) just duplicate. I'll PM you when I finish off this one and let you know how things go from there.

I'm still working on that MAP program I was going to get you also. Weathers been so shitty here I've been stuck in the garage making things like this :) instead of out tuning.

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
NinetyFiveNA said:
:biggrin: :biggrin:

It took me pretty much all of Saturday to come up with a design, make the template from poster board, and to cut out the metal and finish it off completely.

I've started another for the SF member that PM'd me already, to see how the duplication proccess goes. It should go smoother and all since I don't have to do any thinking now :) just duplicate. I'll PM you when I finish off this one and let you know how things go from there.

I'm still working on that MAP program I was going to get you also. Weathers been so shitty here I've been stuck in the garage making things like this :) instead of out tuning.
Sounds good. No rush on the MAP maps as I just put a down payment on a lot to build another house so my mod money is going to be tied up again for a while. I keep trying to tell myself it'll be worth it in the long run. :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts