Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered a JDM engine last week. 30K-45K acording to the company I ordered it from here in Utah. I was really impressed with how fast it got here, just 3 days. But here's the good part . . .

I was going to change the HG for a HKS 1.2mm and torque it to 72 lbs. and when we opened the head I had the surprise of my life. It's a brand new engine! It was either rebuilt to perfection (most likely) or brand new from toyota. The engine has never been run, everything is perfect inside. I measured everything and its all to spec with toyota and it has new seals on all the valves, the head is 100% straight, not warped no marks from machine shops. Everything I was going to do to it is already done!

Am I really this lucky? Has this happened to anyone else? Is it a GIFT FROM GOD?

I'm doing the HG and dropping the engine in this weekend. Let me know if you have any advice for me. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for posting so much useful info. This is my first post but I've been reading alot on this forum and its helped me to build my supra this time around. Thanks to all!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention that it came with a Felpro HG and it was new too :)

Am I better off with a MHG? I have the 1.2mm HKS bead type

·
Matthew 6:33
887 Posts
Some other guy is perplexed as to why the new engine he ordered looks used.

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,084 Posts
That's awesome, great for you dude. I heard that there was a wearehouse in the Dallas area stocked with NAPA remanufactured 7M's. Perhaps that's one of them.

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
got my jdm newly rebuilt 3 years ago but i must warn to check everything. Mine ran fine till the very day I pulled it! Tore it down and noticed they didnt gap the rings and you can slightly see on the cylinder walls the rings were going to town!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll make sure to double check everything. thanks.
I guess I should mention that the engine was cheaper than all of the other JDM places I tried to order from :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
damn man thats awesome.....just double check everything to make sure it was done right....and yeah if ur changin the headgasket id go with a MHG.

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
I'll make sure to double check everything. thanks.
I guess I should mention that the engine was cheaper than all of the other JDM places I tried to order from :)

go for it man! good luck with it as far as price i was in the same boat so no complaints from me! Hope all goes well!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
That's awesome, great for you dude. I heard that there was a wearehouse in the Dallas area stocked with NAPA remanufactured 7M's. Perhaps that's one of them.
how much are they? and what do they come with.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
PICS!!!
also, where did you order it from?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll be taking some pictures of it tonight before I close it up. Someone mentioned it might be a gift from "down south" . .. does an engine from hell come with more HP? :)

·
KBR
2,910 Posts
So I ordered a JDM engine last week. 30K-45K acording to the company I ordered it from here in Utah. I was really impressed with how fast it got here, just 3 days. But here's the good part . . .

I was going to change the HG for a HKS 1.2mm and torque it to 72 lbs. and when we opened the head I had the surprise of my life. It's a brand new engine! It was either rebuilt to perfection (most likely) or brand new from toyota. The engine has never been run, everything is perfect inside. I measured everything and its all to spec with toyota and it has new seals on all the valves, the head is 100% straight, not warped no marks from machine shops. Everything I was going to do to it is already done!

Am I really this lucky? Has this happened to anyone else? Is it a GIFT FROM GOD?

I'm doing the HG and dropping the engine in this weekend. Let me know if you have any advice for me. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for posting so much useful info. This is my first post but I've been reading alot on this forum and its helped me to build my supra this time around. Thanks to all!

thats good for you bro! anywayz, thank god that you posted over here. coz if you posted your thread at the other side, and said the 3 letter word. you'll probably get banned as well. ... so stay away from ****.

but anywayz, good luck bro! coz I gotz a GOOD JDM motor as well :)

aite, peace.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Pictures!

Ok. I put in the MHG tonight. It was GREAT. Sorry if i offended anyone with my 3 letter words, i'll stay away from them in the future. :)

The engine is great. The block powdercoated black and all the aluminum is very shiny. Looks like they bored out the block twice, I measured it and took some pictures of the numbers in the engine too. The seals on the head are brand new, the Head gasket was only torqued to 48 lbs and it came out just like new so it should still work (let me know if you want to buy it real cheap). I think the best part is that it still has the warranty badges on the block and head. They fall off if the block heats more than it should or after a few years.

Someone had to screw up . . . this is too good to be true. As far as I can tell the warranty badges mean it was built/rebuilt by toyota? the only thing that doesnt match that is that the head gasket wasnt torqued too much (48 lbs)

I had the intake and exhaust ported and polished. I would have had the head machined but it was perfect . . . didnt need it. I installed a 1.2mm HKS MHG and torqued the head to 74 lbs with the original studs. They still had the lines on them meaning they are new.

Oh, also the valves are all labeled on the inside (bottom) with a washable marker of some sort . . . so it never ran after it was built/rebuilt.

I'm excited . . . I got hooked up . . . Thanks for everyone for the advice/comments, let me know if there's anything else I should know.

Here's the pics :

All the pics are here . . . I just cant get them to show on the thread. Sorry

http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w320/SupraTurboUtah/

1 - 20 of 43 Posts