Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone familiar with when your engine mount dies out? When I bought my Supra, it was stock, but after a 2 and a 1/2 thousand mile trip, it started to kinda chatter when I started in first gear. Even when I let out the clutch slowly. After Bpu, I changed out the clutch. Still the same problem, but not when the clutch was Brand Spankin New. It wasn't until 300 miles into the "breaking in" of the clutch that I recall it starting again. It kinda happens too when I'm releasing the clutch after I changed gears. In first gear, it's audible to the outside. I want to be sure that it's the engine mounts before I invest anymore money into this. And if the problem is the mounts, is it easy to replace? Any input would be appreciated.

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
It is possibly caused by the surface of your clutch disc and or pressure plate. I like to say this happens to a clutch that has been working fine and is caused by our clutch using habits. It happens to me occasionally so I am not picking on you necessarily. If this is indeed your clutch and not your motor mounts you can likely fix the problem simply. Drive down the road somewhere driving about 25-35mph and put your car into 4th gear and rev your engine just a little, enough so that the engine is running faster than it would be if you let the clutch out at this speed, let the clutch out slowly engaging it enough so that you are slipping the clutch and the pedal isn't all the way out and do this for 10 or 15 or 20 seconds then let the clutch all the way out. What you have done is to smooth the surface of the clutch a little by letting it slip. You don't want to do it so much that you get the surfaces so hot you burn them. If your problem was due to the surface of the clutch being a little rough then you have smoothed it up and it should work fine and not chatter when you are letting the clutch out. If this doesn't cure the problem then you might try it again and if that doesn't cure the problem then it wasn't caused by a rough clutch surface and you had better look for something else as your problem. Be sure to let the clutch cool a little by driving it around for a little while between trying this the first time and the second time. However from your description this sounds like it is a good possibility of what your problem is since you said it didn't do that after you installed the new clutch until after about 300 miles. Hope you find that this helps cure your problem. Please let us know the results.

·
¿Got Boost?
96 Posts
I have that exact noise coming from my car as well. I'm still on stock clutch/flywheel. The car shifts well without slipping but out of first gear this chattering noise is very audible, even when I release the clutch slowly. I thought maybe the flywheel was going bad. Did 93dawg's method work? Let me know, thanks.

james

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got the same problem. It didn't start until I changed clutches from stock to an RPS Stage 1. Its rough as hell. Don't know what to do about it. I read from a Stillen upgrade guide that you'd have clutch chatter when accomplishing some level of upgrade.:(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts