Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been driving for a while now, im in my senior year and I really am interested in a supra but I dont really have 20k+ to shell out to get a tt. What I was wondering is if any of you could tell me every single thing that is diffrent from the n/a's to the tt. The reason I want to know is I was wondering would it be worth it to get an n/a with over 200k miles very cheap then engine swap to a 2jz-gte tt. What would you recomend I do. Also please tell me if this sounds like a stupid idea. Thank you for your time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would reccomend you use the search button ;/
this question is asked weekly.. and the answer is no. it costs more to get a N/A and do a TT swap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not really sure I know for a fact you can get the tt engine with the tranny for 4500$ maybe a little less they always have em on ebay buy it now for that much. The only question is how much is an n/a with a hella lot of miles peferebly over 200k going to cost because lets say I got one in the 13 to 16k range idk the exact value maybe under I could save a thousand or two. But what are the other diffrences beside engine internals between the n/a and the tt. I know that the breaks arent as good and that the the whole engine is diffrent such as the head and cams suspension isnt as tight and there are a fwe other things. I mean I could probably get a tt out of my dad if i bust my ass and get straight a's. hehe like that would happen. :p so what do you think?

·
fortes fortuna adiuvat
267 Posts
doodles right...

when i was in HS i wanted a MKIV bad but i drove a Si because i couldnt afford it...in my experience you have to be well off to afford a supra at your age...im only now able to afford one and im 20...if you REALLY want one save up for awhile and get one, its as simple as that...you have to earn it...i have been saving up for a while to be able to buy a MKIV...

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
PyrogenicImports said:
im not really sure I know for a fact you can get the tt engine with the tranny for 4500$ maybe a little less they always have em on ebay buy it now for that much. The only question is how much is an n/a with a hella lot of miles peferebly over 200k going to cost because lets say I got one in the 13 to 16k range idk the exact value maybe under I could save a thousand or two. But what are the other diffrences beside engine internals between the n/a and the tt. I know that the breaks arent as good and that the the whole engine is diffrent such as the head and cams suspension isnt as tight and there are a fwe other things. I mean I could probably get a tt out of my dad if i bust my ass and get straight a's. hehe like that would happen. :p so what do you think?
well not to be an ass...but you did come on here asking a question..he answered and youre sitting here doubting him.

now while, sometimes it is less costly to get an n/a and do the swap...you better be able to put in a lot of time yourself and not pay retail for the tt parts. the 2jz gte is much different from the 2jz ge, you dont just put on the turbos and call it a day. the turbo also as you said has way better brakes, the springs and shocks are softer in the n/a and the sway bars arent as strong in the n/a. also some n/as come with cloth seats so youll swap those if you want a 'true' turbo. the cloth seats will save you weight though.

also id love to know where you can get a 2jz gte with turbos and everything, including ecu...AND a getrag 6 speed (im assuming yorue talking manual) for 4500 dollars. the getrag alone *new* is 5600 dollars, and the short block alone is 2000...so if youre getting both including the top end and ecu, then thats a pretty good deal.

honestly i say wait...save and get a tt...its a much better idea, and youre not gonna save a lot of cash getting an n/a. and if its that whole "but i want a supra now" if you tried this...you wouldnt have your supra now...youd have 6+ months of down time, and like i said only a little money saved. save for the TT. just my .02

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah It would be really nice to get one before college. I dont know it all depends on if my dad could throw in a couple of thousand but I doubt it. Oh yeah about the engine they really do have them for 4500$ they are all under 30k some come with transmition and some dont. Also the ones that do come with the tranny are mostly automatic. Some come with ecu some dont. Here is one where the harness is cut :mad: but it comes with ecu tranny auto :rolleyes: and intercooler. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33615&item=2439038829 4500$

Here is a nice JDM with tranny, manifold, ecu, brackets and sensors, and alternator http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33615&item=2439450735 for 3800$

see you just have to be patient to find a great deal. Even though the ones above arent the best you just have to keep looking.

Oh and by the way I would like to thank all of you so far that have helped me a lot. Thanx a lot guys.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
If you get an NA to swap in a TT engine is going to cost you a lot more at the end. I'm sure you're going to have pay someone to do the swap and it's not going to be cheap. Good luck

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
pyrogenic - i know you can find em...its just then you have to wonder what they have been through (bad turbos, bent rod, oil pump/fms, electrical, etc) and like we both said the different parts you need (i forgot to bring up the intercooler)

and just fyi if you get a jdm motor it will have a map sensor instead of a maf, smaller (ceramic) turbos, smaller cams, i believe the head doesnt flow as well, and 440cc injectors as opposed to 550cc, which will seriously restrict your 'bpu' power levels.

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you can find a TT for like 15-16k used, if you wait it out. Just keep looking locally. They go for more on ebay, but if you look locally, you are bound to find a better deal from some guy who is relatively in need of cash and wants to sell his TT. I know a kid who is thinking about selling his for 15k.

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
if he decides to...give me his number lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I understand and yes you are right tt's on ebay sell way more than what they are worth. Here is what edmunds ranges supras http://www.edmunds.com/apps/usedmat...tion=Toyota&modelSelection=Supra&setzip=77083

You are right you can get a TT for much cheaper locally the only problem is finding one. As long as it is within 300 miles I would not mind going to pick it up. Right now im going to work on getting a little more cash in the bank. Most likely ill get it during the middle of the second semester. Anyways guys thank you so much for all the information it really helps. Lets keep this thread going :D

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
edmunds and kbb...both low ball. i mean ebay supras are expensive...but the market value is definitely above kbb. kbb for my car was liek 21-22 this summer, then i had them send out an exotics appraiser and he analyzed the market and said it was worth more like 29,5ish (95 targa 6 speed 65k miles bpu+++ perfect condition) you might find that high (and honestly it probably is, but i didnt argue) ...but perfect condition supras are getting harder and harder to find.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts